S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front end alignment problem

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end alignment problem

So last Friday, I attempted to do a 4 wheel alignment on my 2007 S2000, this was the result.

After driving the car around over the weekend, I noticed the steering wheel was not centered and the car felt strange when cornering and going over bumps so I decided to bring in my car again. The front end readings for camber/caster/toe were all out of spec with the steering wheel straight so I attempted to bring the numbers back into spec and brought them as close as I could to each other, but the numbers were still way off. Then I decided to get the steering wheel straight using WinToe, and got that straightened out. My toe was now zeroed, steering wheel is straight, caster is 6.4 degrees on both sides, (and here is where my problem lies)..my camber is way off, like 4-5 degrees off side to side. I believe the driver side is 1.5 degrees and the passenger side is -3.3 degrees. The drivers side will not adjust anymore towards zero and the passenger side will not adjust anymore towards zero, if I attempt to adjust them towards zero they just adjust further away from zero no matter which way I turn the adjustments. What do I do next?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

What equipment are you using to measure the alignment? Some sort of DIY setup?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have access to a Hunter alignment machine but do not know how to do an alignment? Is there someone in that shop that does? Not sure how you got to where you are at but you are not making any sense. Adjusting toe will not due anything to your camber. You need to hook it up again and get someone to help you get it right.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With camber being that far off side to side you may need to shift/center your subframe. Also,with a Hunter make sure you set rear toe first before moving to the front (once you have rear camber set).
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
What equipment are you using to measure the alignment? Some sort of DIY setup?
I'm using a Hunter alignment rack, not sure on the software.

Originally Posted by blwn34
You have access to a Hunter alignment machine but do not know how to do an alignment? Is there someone in that shop that does? Not sure how you got to where you are at but you are not making any sense. Adjusting toe will not due anything to your camber. You need to hook it up again and get someone to help you get it right.
Yeah, this was the first time I did a four wheel alignment, I did not understand why camber would not adjust towards specification, the camber was like 4 degrees off from side to side.. after endlessly trying to get my camber back to spec I decided to move the car back and start over and that seemed to allow me to fixed the issue, camber adjusted to spec.. I have access to a Hunter alignment rack because I'm a student in automotive repair. My instructor told me it should adjust to spec unless something is bent. I guess something was out of whack with the floating alignment plates or something.

Originally Posted by Gottabfast
With camber being that far off side to side you may need to shift/center your subframe. Also,with a Hunter make sure you set rear toe first before moving to the front (once you have rear camber set).
Thank you for your input, I did adjust the rear first before moving on to the front. I'm glad nothing was bent or something that involves more tweaking. The problem was fixed, I started over and camber was able to adjust to spec.