S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Finding a Goldie Locks suspension

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a Goldie Locks suspension

Hey guys, I own a 2007 S2k and was hoping you could help me in my decision on improving my car's suspension.

When I bought the car, I found that the previous owner had fitted Eibach springs over the OEM dampers. I've driven the car for a few years now including some track time. While I've found the balance of the car is pretty good, the ride quality has always been pretty jarring. For the longest time, I've just chalked this up as the cost of having a performance suspension...

I got a job working for an exotic car dealership in LA, and have had the chance to drive a lot of really terrific cars. One of my first experiences was in the Lamborghini Gallaro Performante. I was struck at what a well sorted suspension is really like. The car seemed to catch bumps rather than slap and skip over them. All while still providing great grip and without isolating the driver from the road. It was kind of a revelation that a car doesn't have to ride like crap to give great performance.

I adore my car. Even after days when I get to drive something exotic, I sit in my S2000 and am constantly struck by how close it actually is in terms of driving enjoyment.

Everything is great, But the suspension seems so far off base. I understand that it's unfair to compare my car to something with a pushrod suspension, etc. I'm not really looking for that level of performance, but rather something that might offer the same level of trade off in comfort vs performance.

Here are my thoughts as far as my options go.

1 Ditch the Eibachs and find some OEM springs. Maybe add some nice anti roll bars down the road if I'm looking to improve performance.

2 Find someone with a CR suspension for sale and try those.

3 Keep the Eibachs and swap the OEM dampers for Koni Yellows.

4 Something from KW or Ohlins. I don't really care about adjustability. I might hit the track once or twice every other year. I'm more concerned with driving enjoyment than shaving time or adjusting rebound rates. I'd probably contact these companies and use their recommended settings and never touch them again.

I don't care about lowering the car. My logic is the closer to OEM, the better most everything else will be without modification. I do care about cost, but if doing this right the first time costs extra, I can wait and save up.

Maybe if someone in the LA area has one of these setups, they might be willing to take me for a ride in exchange for a beer?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 AM

I have the eibach prokit with koni yellow dampers. While many people here say that it rides "just like stock", I personally noticed a decent difference in harshness coming from the stock suspension. It's certainly bearable, and I've gotten used to it, but it's there..

I've read many times on here that the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers are the best coilover/suspension setup for someone who DD's their car and may have the rare HPD event. With that said, I have no experience with them so maybe someone else can chime in. If you're on a budget, the stock CR suspension is also probably a good choice.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PSS9s ride the most stock like, with the ability to adjust height and dampening.

KW V3s take it a step further with a little more adjustibility and performance.

Ohlins are at the top end of the scale with regards to the others and perform great. The difference is apparent as soon as you drive on them.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ how about BC BR coils with a swift spring upgrade. how do they stack up?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sn0wman
They don't. Stay away from anything "JDM" or made in Taiwan.

If it's not on this list, stay away.
Bilstein
Koni
KW
Ohlins
Moton
JRZ
AST
Motion Control
(probably missed a couple, but you get the idea)
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by sn0wman' timestamp='1373601287' post='22661550
They don't. Stay away from anything "JDM" or made in Taiwan.

If it's not on this list, stay away.
Bilstein
Koni
KW
Ohlins
Moton
JRZ
AST
Motion Control
(probably missed a couple, but you get the idea)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

KW V2 vs PSS9? Opinions?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

PSS9 is very comfortable for the street, better than when I had Eibach springs and OEM shocks, better than OEM springs and shocks.

I'm in OC, come on down to the pizza meet this Wednesday night (7/17) and I'll take you for a ride.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 AM

Has anyone tried the tein src evasive spec?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayPizzle
Has anyone tried the tein src evasive spec?
Evasive has, extensively. Those are what they used on their track car. Spring rates are pretty high for the street though.

Quick Reply: Finding a Goldie Locks suspension