S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Cooked brakes

Old 06-22-2024, 06:35 AM

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
7 years into tracking and I am still rocking stock brakes with track pads . I am not saying I am at the very pointy end, but typically well up into the faster bunch at the events I attend so I do drive the car pretty hard. You dont need to get all bent up on buying a BBK up front. A BBK wil reduce your cost of consumables for the most part which is good but you can go plenty fast without one so dont get scared into spending $3k + on a new brake setup just yet

Also, driving style plays into this HUGE. Example, I was at a NASA event last year. I am good friends with the guy that took TT5 first place that day. They are all on hoosiers, I was just running HPDE 4 on Kumho V730s (so not even the really fast 200TW tire). I was around a half second off his times that day. He goes through rotors and pads almost twice as fast as I do whether he is driving on 200TW tires or Hoosiers. I know people faster than me and slower than me that tear through brakes much faster than me. So regardless of how fast a person is or how slow a person is, a lot is to be said about driving style and brakes. I have yet to have issues with my brakes overheating on any track so far, running on 95 degree days balls out for 20 minutes a session with just good fresh fluid and track pads on stock sized rotors.

I am not knocking a BBK and if costs would not have soared I likely would have done one by now to reduce consumables down the road (Although you have to recoup that initial cost). I think a lot get hung up on thinking they just HAVE to have one and you do not. If you boost the car and are carrying a ton more straightaway speed you will start running into more heat related issues with brakes but on stockish power (or even just a good tune) that is not really a big deal. And there may be tracks with very long straights where you may run into it more. But just drive the car, pay attention, use good fluid and pads and you will figure out what you need. I honestly think a lot of people think that them wearing through brakes like crazy means they are fast, and many times it can be the opposite.

And be careful on "needing more power". If you just want more ok but there is so much to be gained by just getting a lot of seat time. Lots of high power car drivers have walked up after a session and asked me if I had a turbo to look kinda puzzled when I told them I have a whopping 225 WHP lol.

I did a little searching on these, Acura mono blocks, anyone purchase from these guys?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354558677709
Old 06-24-2024, 06:59 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

May want to dig in more because I thought those were modded by machining material off the mounting tab areas? There is one conversion that does that and I am not sure if it was those but if so, that would be concerning to me.

Honestly other than just good pads and maybe ducting, I would just wait for a real BBK instead of all these types of options. I really do not think you are going to get enough benefit to warrant a lot of these.
The following users liked this post:
Dibsen (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen
I did a little searching on these, Acura mono blocks, anyone purchase from these guys?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354558677709
These use the same size rotor as the S2000 already has.

So, there will be some gain from the 4 piston, non floating design putting more even pressure on the pads. But not a big gain in terms of heat sinking or preventing rotor cracking.

No idea how they affect hydraulic brake bias or pedal travel.

Generally, its important to know why you're doing a mod. Then see whether the mod fits the need.

Not sure what problem you're trying to solve. Or are you just looking to mod for funsies? Of so, that's the easiest problem to solve.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:09 AM

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
May want to dig in more because I thought those were modded by machining material off the mounting tab areas? There is one conversion that does that and I am not sure if it was those but if so, that would be concerning to me.

Honestly other than just good pads and maybe ducting, I would just wait for a real BBK instead of all these types of options. I really do not think you are going to get enough benefit to warrant a lot of these.
that’s where I’m at, ducks and racing pads. These popped up and really just caused a distraction.

I already have the pads. Need to order some fresh rotors (Rock Auto).

One reason I was looking at the slotted rotors from Napa was a friend of mine mentioned why they use slotted rotors on their race car, to keep the pads from flash glazing.

maybe there is a trade off there. The race car is a funded race team, they can afford to swap parts as needed and sacrifice longevity for performance.

I think with good pads and ducts, I’ll be good on street tires. If I ever make the jump to R comps, then I’ll start looking at rear upgrades or bbk.

I was hoping on getting at least another year (2025 season)out of my 71rs Stones. I’m going to swap front and rears at the end of the year, benni of running square.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:10 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Like I said, 7 years of tracking this car and I run OEM brakes with good pads and blank rotors. I push the car hard from sessions start to session end. I would not focus dumping lots into BBK and stuff until you really think you are going to benefit from it. Many of the people I know locally running on Hoosiers for time trials are also running stock calipers and good pads, some of them setting TT records on them at various tracks. The main difference between them and the folks running a BBK is that the ones with a BBK have less issues with consumables aka rotors and pads last longer. They are no faster on track and the people without a BBK are not dealing with constantly overheating the brakes on track. Folks running a lot of boost and seeing much higher speeds on the straights are the ones I hear fighting brake temps on certain tracks.

Ducts are not a bad idea and can be done fairly cheaply. And a BBK is not a bad thing, just not something you really need right now. It will over time lower consumable costs but there is quite the up front investment in a setup that actually provides benefit. I honestly do not think there is much of any benefit from anything short of a decent BBK like the StopTech or AP Racing setups.
The following users liked this post:
Dibsen (06-28-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brembo blanks or Girodisc 2pc with CSG C1 F/R and Endless RF-650, Brembo HTC 64T, Halo P1, or Castrol SRF. Bed the discs properly, perform good warmup and cooldown procedures. That's the best you can do for stock brake system. I'd avoid brake ducting when possible as it introduces too much temperature gradient which effectively kills the disc.