S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

coilovers for the street

Old 11-13-2022, 06:55 AM
Jub

Received 418 Likes on 328 Posts

Big front sway bar may help it feel more "planted" but it depends what you mean when using that word. A stiffer rear sway will make the rear end more likely to step out. The s2k was never known to be a stable car. Quite the opposite. It's a good handling but edgy car. That's always been part of its mystique that some feared and some loved.

If that's not for you, reconsider your choices. Longer cars (bigger wheel base) tend to be more stable. Miatas are known to be less edgy/twitchy than S2k's.

If it's just body roll you don't like, stiffer springs sways will help that. I think the S2k is very planted up to 7/10ths. When you're pushing its limits it's twitchy. I don't think most street drivers can or should really push its limits.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:39 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys, this is new territory for me. I'll just stick with coilovers
Old 11-13-2022, 08:13 AM

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Pm me your email address. I'll send you the S2k suspension balance calculator.

You can plug in your specs for springs and bars, and it'll let you see how that effects static balance. Lets you compare to stock balance for each S suspension iteration. Lets you see if balance will change toward front or rear, and by how much. Its not always intuitive, due to how the motion ratios work.

It includes the specs to plug in for many popular options, including the pss.

You can plug in swaybar options to see what the results would be.

Stiffer swaybars reduce traction (because they limit suspension independence), but they increase dynamic control, and limit roll.

Generally, tires with more traction create more opportunity for dynamic response, and require stiffer suspension to control it. So match suspension to tires.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

You can plug in your specs for springs and bars, and it'll let you see how that effects static balance. Lets you compare to stock balance for each S suspension iteration. Lets you see if balance will change toward front or rear, and by how much. Its not always intuitive, due to how the motion ratios work.

Stiffer swaybars reduce traction (because they limit suspension independence), but they increase dynamic control, and limit roll.

Generally, tires with more traction create more opportunity for dynamic response, and require stiffer suspension to control it. So match suspension to tires.
Thank you Sir !
Old 11-13-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

This sounds dangerous for anyone who doesn’t have a strong grasp on a whole lot of concepts.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:13 PM

Dangerous? Explain please.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:01 AM

Dangerous? Explain please.
If I don’t know what terms mean, how they influence how the car drives, my own limits as a driver, etc., they could lead to me spending money in the wrong direction for my needs.

(I/me used for example, I hope to think I know enough to know when I don’t know)
Old 11-15-2022, 06:38 AM

Have you tried it? PM me your email address and see for yourself. THEN criticize it. I'd love your feedback. Always trying to improve it.

One important use of the calculator is help you evaluate a contemplated mod BEFORE you do it, to see what effect it'll have. Make sure you don't spend money on mods that do opposite of what you wanted.

For example, as you go stiffer springs, you have to go stiffer front vs rear to maintain same balance. So say you go from 300 front 300 rear springs (inch pounds), to 400/400. You actually shifted balance to the rear. Its going to have more oversteer than before. It because of how the motion ratios work.

The calculator lets you actually see if your proposed change keeps balance same, moves it forward, or rearward, and by how much. BEFORE you buy the parts.

Its all expressed as percentages, so no complicated concepts to understand. Just find the specs for your parts, which calculator helps you do.

Interestingly, balance direction is opposite for swaybars on our cars. My '06 stock swaybars are 300 front, 311 rear. I swapped for '00 '01 ap1 swaybars, which are 393/427. So rear bar went from +11 to +34, compared to front. That was the only change. You'd think I made rear stiffer, more oversteer. But that combo actually made front slightly stiffer than before. Again, motion ratios.

As you go stiffer swaybar, you need to go more rear just to keep same balance. Calculator lays it all bare and easy to see.

It showd you how your end result compares to each stock suspension iteration. The '02 '03 were the most rearward biased iteration, and CR the most front biased. You can see if your current or proposed setup makes your car closer to CR, or more like the '02 '03, and by how much, as a percentage.

Did you go past CR? Or past '02 '03? Only one way to find out. Plug your parts into calculator and see.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:48 AM

Have you tried it? PM me your email address and see for yourself. THEN criticize it. I'd love your feedback. Always trying to improve it.

One important use of the calculator is help you evaluate a contemplated mod BEFORE you do it, to see what effect it'll have. Make sure you don't spend money on mods that do opposite of what you wanted.

For example, as you go stiffer springs, you have to go stiffer front vs rear to maintain same balance. So say you go from 300 front 300 rear springs (inch pounds), to 400/400. You actually shifted balance to the rear. Its going to have more oversteer than before. It because of how the motion ratios work.

The calculator lets you actually see if your proposed change keeps balance same, moves it forward, or rearward, and by how much. BEFORE you buy the parts.

Its all expressed as percentages, so no complicated concepts to understand. Just find the specs for your parts, which calculator helps you do.

Interestingly, balance direction is opposite for swaybars on our cars. My '06 stock swaybars are 300 front, 311 rear. I swapped for '00 '01 ap1 swaybars, which are 393/427. So rear bar went from +11 to +34, compared to front. That was the only change. You'd think I made rear stiffer, more oversteer. But that combo actually made front slightly stiffer than before. Again, motion ratios.

As you go stiffer swaybar, you need to go more rear just to keep same balance. Calculator lays it all bare and easy to see.

It showd you how your end result compares to each stock suspension iteration. The '02 '03 were the most rearward biased iteration, and CR the most front biased. You can see if your current or proposed setup makes your car closer to CR, or more like the '02 '03, and by how much, as a percentage.

Did you go past CR? Or past '02 '03? Only one way to find out. Plug your parts into calculator and see.
My brother. I am sure it can be a handy tool for some.

But for folks who don’t know what they need, it can probably confuse more than it helps. Especially if they just blindly trust what people recommend here, because diff folks have diff needs.

Thank you though, but my comfy street car shall remain that and nothing more forever.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
My brother. I am sure it can be a handy tool for some.

But for folks who don't know what they need, it can probably confuse more than it helps. Especially if they just blindly trust what people recommend here, because diff folks have diff needs.

Thank you though, but my comfy street car shall remain that and nothing more forever.
I must say, your logic confuses me. The whole point of the tool is so you can decide for yourself, and not have to just take opinion of random people from internet.

But you don't think its useful because you like your comfy suspension? The tool doesn't tell you to get stiff suspension.

You're making assumptions about something you've not even seen.

Quick Reply: coilovers for the street