S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover Rankings and Reviews for under $2000

Old 09-01-2011 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by DanZilla
what about Challenge coilovers?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/742...ilover-review/
Old 09-11-2011 | 08:14 PM

looking for a review on pss9's or something reliable, track ready, and wont be hard to find parts for if one shock decides to blow out. Any suggestions. These challenge coils seem nice but having a hard time finding them. Im on Buddy Clubs N+ right now. Stance is oh so nice but im ready for my car to be more track oriented. Any suggestions or links that might help are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011 | 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by vtecmonster
looking for a review on pss9's or something reliable, track ready, and wont be hard to find parts for if one shock decides to blow out. Any suggestions. These challenge coils seem nice but having a hard time finding them. Im on Buddy Clubs N+ right now. Stance is oh so nice but im ready for my car to be more track oriented. Any suggestions or links that might help are greatly appreciated.
www.farnorthracing.com
Old 09-12-2011 | 08:41 PM

Installed the Bilstein PSS9 on my AP2 a couple weekends ago. Install was quite simple, you just need to remove and reuse the OEM tophats. The instructions are basically useless and you really cannot find many guides online for PSS9 installs but if you have any experience with coilovers it should not be an issue. I bought mine from autopartswarehouse for about 1250 shipped(10% coupon on retailmeornot). The ride on 6-8(1-stiff/9-comfort) are pretty much close to stock. Car rides about 1 to 1 1/2 finger gaps all around. I opt for this setup for tracking only a couple times a year. Car is more planted to the ground and not tiring to drive if used daily.
Old 09-15-2011 | 07:45 AM

anyone do a review on the stance gr+? im torn between the bc br and stance. I had tein flex and they were ok. im looking to go with something different and im down to these two. any help?
Old 09-15-2011 | 09:45 AM

The BC racing kit seems to have a feature that I've only seen on one other system, Toda Fightex. The both have a spring retainer below the pillowball to avoid binding the spring on the mounting plate.

BC picture

Toda picture

Anybody have a thought on this? Any real performance impact, or just hype from Toda? I'm guessing BC built their system with the Fightex as their model.
Old 09-15-2011 | 10:19 AM

I think there are quite a few coilovers out there that separate the upper spring perch from the top hat mount. Also, the BC Racing image in the above link is from a McPherson strut car. The BC Racing S2000 application is different and does not separate the upper spring perch from the top hat mount, i.e., they are one in the same. Here's an image I found in someone else's thread -

Name:  IMAG0179.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  83.4 KB

Whether or not it makes a difference is based on the angle change between the damper shaft and the top hat mount through the normal suspension travel. If there is not much angle change, there wouldn't be much benefit from separating the upper perch from the top hat mount. If there is a relatively large angle change, I would expect the system to behave more linearly with the design shown in the Toda link above. I don't have any data about this potential angle change.
Old 09-15-2011 | 10:27 AM

your list sucks...

for $2000 you can buy these

Ohlins singles
koni 30 series
jrz singles
moton singles
ast singles

any on the shocks I list above are better then all the shocks you've listed.
Old 09-15-2011 | 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by nmrado
I think there are quite a few coilovers out there that separate the upper spring perch from the top hat mount. Also, the BC Racing image in the above link is from a McPherson strut car. The BC Racing S2000 application is different and does not separate the upper spring perch from the top hat mount, i.e., they are one in the same. Here's an image I found in someone else's thread -

Whether or not it makes a difference is based on the angle change between the damper shaft and the top hat mount through the normal suspension travel. If there is not much angle change, there wouldn't be much benefit from separating the upper perch from the top hat mount. If there is a relatively large angle change, I would expect the system to behave more linearly with the design shown in the Toda link above. I don't have any data about this potential angle change.

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 09-15-2011 | 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
for $2000 you can buy these

any on the shocks I list above are better then all the shocks you've listed.
These are the prices I was able to find with some simple Google searches.

Ohlins singles - DFVs - ~$3000
koni 30 series - Could probably make a coilover assembly for ~$2000
jrz singles - Haven't seen any JRZs for less than $2500 new
moton singles - Street Sports - ~$2800
ast singles - no springs or top hats, sure ~$2000 for 4100s

Yes, the dampers you listed would most likely perform better than the ones discussed in this thread, but some cost well above $2k.

Quick Reply: Coilover Rankings and Reviews for under $2000