S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover question

Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

I second the Bilstein PSS, for a simple "set ride height, and just drive, plug and play solution."

All the other options you listed are downgrades from OEM (from a performance/dampening standpoint).
Old 10-26-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I second the Bilstein PSS, for a simple "set ride height, and just drive, plug and play solution." All the other options you listed are downgrades from OEM (from a performance/dampening standpoint).
+1

I would go as far as saying that I would take a set of CR shocks and CR springs over a set of PSSs in 350 lbs spring rate range.

Only because a set of cr suspension wouldn't require corner weighting, only an alignment after install.

I would advocate the PSSs as a donor for the start of a kick ass non adjustable coilover.

If you are tracking or autocross, a pillow ball or spherical top hat is the cherry on the proverbial sundae; however on a street car I would choose the quiet simple comfort of the oem top hat.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I second the Bilstein PSS, for a simple "set ride height, and just drive, plug and play solution."

All the other options you listed are downgrades from OEM (from a performance/dampening standpoint).
Well since my OEM shocks has been riding for 118000 miles I don't really think its a downgrade. Sure I wont lose performance if I use my other OEM shocks i have, but I wont be able to set the ride height I want. For only road use, I think these coils for ~1000$ are good. That's at least what I've heard from people who has them themselves.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

?? The bilstein PSS is less than $1k and will work better for road use than the ones you suggested. Unless you're planning on slamming this car to the ground?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Just reset my rear toe after fitting Eibach lowering springs few weeks ago <30mm rear drop><25mm front drop>and rear Toe increased to 8mm total,<that's much to much>
it was set to 1mm per side before lowering so has increased 3mm per side with 30mm rear spring drop.

Much better now with 1mm again a side toe in <04 model> I like it set to min as possible to stop rear steering bump response from the Honda passive/dynamic suspension design.
Still not sure if the spring drop ect is better than OE as spring rates on rear seems hard..

some reading material here

https://robrobinette.com/S2000Alignment.htm
Old 10-29-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
?? The bilstein PSS is less than $1k and will work better for road use than the ones you suggested. Unless you're planning on slamming this car to the ground?
I have not found them for less than #1k. And i wont ever do that either since I dont live in the US. Well I could get them used, but PSS isnt adjustable either.
My offset on my rims are pretty low for the car, and I dont want to camber the hell out of the car. Even tho my fenders are rolled it will rubber in the front. So thanks to this, I think that the stiffer is better in my case.

I rather buy the PSS9 then, but thats a higher price ofc.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Member (Premium)

From what I gather:
-You have an agressive wheel/tire fitment.
-You don't want excessive camber.
-You don't want to spend any real money on this.
-Improving the car's performance is not really important.

I'm sure you can figure out the details of your fitments...so I won't ask. The coilovers you have listed are all equally crappy. So just pick one in the color that appeals to you. For what its worth, BC seems to have a "decent" reputation.

Have you looked into a setup from Fortune Auto? They *seem* to be affordable and well thought out. They are a small US based company. I don't know what the swedish importation taxes or duties cost. But...just another product suggestion.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Member (Premium)

For street use, I would choose rubber mounts over hard mounts. Hard mounts tend to make more noise and will be more harsh. Plus...for the price ranges you are listing, they'll likely be awful.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you actually want from a coil over? You don't mind "rock stiff" but yet drive 99% on the street. Do you actually want to improve the damping performance over stock? If the answer is yes, then the cheapest selections that might actually do that for you are:

Bilstein PSS
Koni Yellow with GC

There are plenty of other choices but the prices go up from there. The coil overs you mentioned are a bling downgrade from the OEM Showas.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Koni/GC and Bilstein PSS/9 aren't meant to slam cars. He says he also wants stiff springs to keep the tires off the fenders instead of using camber.

The PSS is a nice system....but soft. Koni/GC would work for him...if he plans on riding fairly high up.

I think he's also saying that Taiwanese/Chinese based brands are on sale in Sweden. I'm surprised Öhlins isn't offering a neighbor-discount

Quick Reply: Coilover question