S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover question

Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover question

Hi, first post here

I have a question that you guys could help me with.
I am about to buy a set of coilovers to my S, but the car has a pretty long milage and i dont wanna spend that much money (even tho some of you are going to tell me i should)

Here in Sweden where i live there is a discount right now for D2 and K-sport coilovers. The deal is ~700$ and i get them delivered in spring.

Then i talked with a store that sells BC racing BR, and they can give me a pair of these for ~1080$ with pillowball mounts all around plus i get a adjusting extensioner on the rears.

I am also looking at a pair of HSD Monopros for the same price as the BC racing coils, but with rubbermounts and 12kg/10kg front and back in spring rates.

So what should i go for? I use my s on like 99% street, but i dont mind if the suspension is rock stiff.
And what is the best to go for in top mounts? Is it really a big difference with rubber and pillowball mounts?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Check all Geometry bolts before hand that could cost you shit loads to get it back to spec
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Check all Geometry bolts before hand that could cost you shit loads to get it back to spec
You got me doing some google searches. Damn now im afraid I could be a victim of this problem... Going to the garage tomorrow to check it

EDIT:
Is this problem related to camber adjust, toe alignment or both?

Back to the topic, anyone?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

It's mostly camber and caster adjustments that gets affected by the stuck bushings.
Have you checked what kind of spring rates the D2 and K-sports kit gets delivered with?
Another alternative would be to check for a low mileage used set of stock dampers.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 AM

Just get bc br coilovers I got them because the megans were out of stock. I saved like 20 ilbs off the car. Nice and stiff handle great. The only thing is I dont track my s so I cant comment there but otherwise great setup. Im really pickey too.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
It's mostly camber and caster adjustments that gets affected by the stuck bushings.
Have you checked what kind of spring rates the D2 and K-sports kit gets delivered with?
Another alternative would be to check for a low mileage used set of stock dampers.
The D2 I dont know, but the K-sports is with 14/9,8 kg/mm. It feels a little too stiff on the front..?
I actually have an extra set of stock dampers with cutted skunk2 springs. Im going to test them out tomorrow and see how it sits, but I think I still want coilovers thanks to the adjustability

Originally Posted by dsthez
Just get bc br coilovers I got them because the megans were out of stock. I saved like 20 ilbs off the car. Nice and stiff handle great. The only thing is I dont track my s so I cant comment there but otherwise great setup. Im really pickey too.
Yeah Im leaning towards buying them. What springrates are you driving with?
Isnt the megan and BC racing the same? I dont remember where I read that..
Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

BC D2 K-sport etc, I don't think there is much difference between all these Chinese/Taiwan brands.
Reason I asked about the spring rates is they often have really weird setups.
Makes you wonder how much R&D for each specific car they do, probably not much except to make sure the things actually fits.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 PM

So I went to the garage and fixed some stuff yesterday.

At the end of the day I started to take apart my front left shock. Got got it hanging loose in there, but then i realised that I had to loosen the A-arm and didnt have time for it, so I tested to loosen the lower bolt that adjusts camber.
Got the nut off without problem, but the bolt was sitting alot harder. Is it this one that gets stuck? I didn't try to lengthen my lever for increasing the torque, but should i really need to pull that hard?
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 AM

Yes that's one of the bolts that often are seized, with the nut off it should not need any force at all to move it.
If you can turn it a few mm only then it's probably the rubber bushing that you are twisting.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

BIlstein pss if you don't want adjustment. Koni with ground control if you do. Rates around 350-450 should be good for dedicated street setup. These are the cheapest solutions that offer potential improvement over the stock suspension. To get cheaper, buy low mileage oem shocks.

Quick Reply: Coilover question