S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Car steers over bumps

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car steers over bumps

I got an alignment done last week. After that, I installed a strut bar and accidentally left the strut tower nuts loose...quite loose. Afterwards, I noticed my car jerked left and right over bumps. On a highway that isn't quite perfect, my car seems rather unsafe.

Did the loose nuts cause my alignment to go out of whack? Or is there a different issue that I'm not seeing here?

I read something about bump-steer kits. Idk if that applies to me since my car isn't lowered and it was fine before.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ap1ap2whocares
I got an alignment done last week. After that, I installed a strut bar and accidentally left the strut tower nuts loose...quite loose. Afterwards, I noticed my car jerked left and right over bumps. On a highway that isn't quite perfect, my car seems rather unsafe.

Did the loose nuts cause my alignment to go out of whack? Or is there a different issue that I'm not seeing here?

I read something about bump-steer kits. Idk if that applies to me since my car isn't lowered and it was fine before.
S2000s do not use McPherson struts, so the dampers have very little to do with the alignment. Loosening the top hat nuts will not change your alignment. Sounds like you're just experiencing wandering due to the tires following grooves or ridges in the road. People often refer to this as "tramlining". Do you have a print out of the alignment results?

Bumpsteer kits will change the amount of toe change you experience as the suspension compresses. There are many other threads about bumpsteer kits and their intended use.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming you still get the odd pull over bumps after you tightened the upper shock tower nuts?

Excessive toe can cause that
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by ap1ap2whocares' timestamp='1330546505' post='21463395

S2000s do not use McPherson struts, so the dampers have very little to do with the alignment. Loosening the top hat nuts will not change your alignment. Sounds like you're just experiencing wandering due to the tires following grooves or ridges in the road. People often refer to this as "tramlining". Do you have a print out of the alignment results?

Bumpsteer kits will change the amount of toe change you experience as the suspension compresses. There are many other threads about bumpsteer kits and their intended use.
I have the printout somewhere but can't find it right now. The toe and camber were dead on, but the caster was unequal. This would cause a pull/drift wouldn't it, rather than this wander effect

Originally Posted by macr88
I'm assuming you still get the odd pull over bumps after you tightened the upper shock tower nuts?

Excessive toe can cause that
I still get the odd pull after tightening those nuts. I'm gonna have the alignment checked at another shop. Perhaps, I either didn't notice it right away or I just happened to drive on very smooth roads right after the alignment. Maybe they didn't tighten tie rods down enough?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 AM

Bumping this oldish thread for any updates?

Ive noticed also that my cars steering feels loose over bumps/lane markers.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

What's your rear toe? Spec for AP1 isIMO excessive. Too much will cause the back of the car to move around a lot over bumps/undulations and in lower grip conditions. I recommend 0.2 to 0.3 degrees total rear toe. Stock spec range goes up to 0.64deg, which sucks, bad, for everything.