S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Car pulls right still after alignment

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin,Mar 22 2010, 09:52 AM
caster is what will cause your car to pull, that and worn tires. A trick I was tought a while back was to measure the distance between you front and rear tires on one side, then the other. If they are the same, or close, you probably have something bent. Your toe may cause it, but I doubt it. Camber also shouldn't cause your car to pull. If your tires are all the same with the same tread its probably caster or something is bent
So...why would toe and camber not make the car pull?

Maybe not in his specific situtation. But are you claiming that in general toe or camber do not cause a pull? That's an insane statement.

If the distances between the tires are the same, you probably have something bent? Wha?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious,Mar 22 2010, 11:20 AM
So...why would toe and camber not make the car pull?

Maybe not in his specific situtation. But are you claiming that in general toe or camber do not cause a pull? That's an insane statement.

If the distances between the tires are the same, you probably have something bent? Wha?
Camber doesnt make a car pull. On my race car, the camber is often not the same side to side. The set up varies per track. For instance, a track that runs clockwise is most likely going to have more camber on the inside, or passenger side, due to dynamic loads being placed on the driver side, causing more camber during turn in/through the turn. This is of course car dependant, and the camber curve of the particular car plays a role here as well.

In layman’s terms for you: You could have one side of your car at +1 degree of camber, and one side at -1 degree of camber. If everything else in the same if will drive straight. It won't handle all that well and will de detrimental to your cornering, but it will still track straight. I've driven a car on and off track with a lot of positive camber in one wheel, while -2 on all the others, and it still drove straight and didn't pull

Also, the toe differences that he has shouldn't cause much of a pull. If may attribute to it, but on its own it wont. If the distance between the tires is the same IE the caster is the same side to side making your effective wheelbase the same, the car should drive straight. that is the biggest factor in a car pulling besides issues witht he tires
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that tech needs to be fired. wow
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Yeah, I will be taking it back. The tires are all originals that came with the car. All 4 still looks new, as mentioned I baby the car. I am not too sure of anything being bent, I am the original owner unless a part of the car is easily bent. I am in So Cal and I heard of an alignment shop that everyone recommends. I'll try that shop instead.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am an alignment tech and would never let a car leave like that!

go tell him to fix it.. other than that just make sure tire tread is all even, no direction tires going the wrong way, etc

try taking the tech for a test drive so he knows what to look for
Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Those alignment settings aren't all that bad. It's not like all the numbers have to be exactly symmetrical. If you don't specify what you want, they're only going to get them within the spec range, once they get "green" everywhere, you're "aligned". For 95% of the population that's just fine. Personally I go with maximum camber (which is outside spec range) and minimum toe. But that's a "custom" alignment...

For sure, your PULLING problem is not in the alignment.
Here's what you do:
Swap the front wheels/tires left to right and see if the pull changes direction. If it does, it's the tire that's on the same side as the direction of the pull. If it doesn't, swap the rear wheels/tires left to right and if that changes the direction of the pull, it's one of the rears.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks ZDan for the suggestions. Is it possible to switch the tires if they are one directional?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^ for testing purposes it's fine.