S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake pads for street/track use

Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nos4you
by the way I'd like to share my experience.
Installed XP10/XP8 a couple days ago. The first day, howled like crazy.
I decided to bed them in last night per Carbotech's instructions.
And now no more howling!
No more howling on the street either you mean?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc G
I was thinking about getting that break-pad setup.... May I ask what rotors you are running btw?
Project Mu. I wish I just got OE though as I'm prolly gonna eat through these rotors with these pads.

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by nos4you' timestamp='1333080662' post='21558423
by the way I'd like to share my experience.
Installed XP10/XP8 a couple days ago. The first day, howled like crazy.
I decided to bed them in last night per Carbotech's instructions.
And now no more howling!
No more howling on the street either you mean?
Yup no more howling! I still get a very slight scratching sound (high pitch) right before coming to a stop but its not annoying.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bump this, I used stoptech street performance and took them to summit point last year on my old RSX-S.

Review of them and the reack day is here:http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=781484

Here's the important part:

The Stoptech pads bite like crazy for the first half a session. I would say they're probably limited by the tire more than anything else in that part of it. There is a small drop-off in braking performance after that, though still within the acceptable range of braking performance. I recommend them as a dual duty pad, but it would be wise to make some cooling modifications especially on a more brake intensive course. At the end of the day, there was still plenty of pad left over, looked fairly similar to what I showed up with.

At the end of session 2 the pedal got a bit mushy and I left track early, I wasn't sure at first if it was the pads or the fluid. What I think is there was some air in the calipers or lines that was never heated enough in street or auto-x driving to be of consequence, and the high heat of the racetrack made them affect my pedal feel. Sessions 2-3-4 only had 60 minutes between each one, so by the time the 4th came around, the brakes only lasted 20 minutes before I had to pit in or be irresponsible.
They're good and they're cheap ($100ish for front and rear set), and only went through about 50% of the pad in 2 track days, which I think is pretty good for a dual-duty. I had to put some heat in them for autoX, but that was accomplished by driving to the line with my left foot on the brake pedal. I had to replace the fronts at 2 track days, 8 autoXes, and 15,000 street miles total on a FWD car.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have successfully run EBC yellow stuff in the front and EBC red stuff in the rear for both street and track. I would say that with moderate track braking there is no fade. I have not tried going full balls out theshold braking on every turn but my impression is there would be some fade. I just upgraded to EBC yellow stuff to the rear too and will be testing that this weekend. I also run the EBC dimpled front rotors in the front and they are great! 5 track days and 10,000 miles and no signs of stress or cracks. I highly recommend the rotors and the yellow stuff pads are sufficient for non-time attack track work.

*The front pads last 4 track days and 7,000 street miles, though I'm still diagnosing the cause of uneven wear.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelsmoker
I have successfully run EBC yellow stuff in the front and EBC red stuff in the rear for both street and track. I would say that with moderate track braking there is no fade. I have not tried going full balls out theshold braking on every turn but my impression is there would be some fade. I just upgraded to EBC yellow stuff to the rear too and will be testing that this weekend. I also run the EBC dimpled front rotors in the front and they are great! 5 track days and 10,000 miles and no signs of stress or cracks. I highly recommend the rotors and the yellow stuff pads are sufficient for non-time attack track work.

*The front pads last 4 track days and 7,000 street miles, though I'm still diagnosing the cause of uneven wear.
It's interesting that the EBC pads have been around for decades, but not many use them for our cars.

I noticed on there web site that they now have a "Blue Stuff" pad. Has anybody tried that?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i've put EBC Yeloow few motnhs ago.
they're lightyears better than Stoptech's (also cost 2 times more).

good bite on cold.
good performance on hot.
very little fade under very heavy load.
no noise.
no dust. no at all.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: I was a more aggressive with my braking on track yesterday with less than 30% pad for the EBC Yellow Stuff and it worked out fine, no fade. I'm more confident with a new set of pads that it'll hold better with Yellow Stuff in the rear and the front so I highly recommend this pad to anyone that's looking for a good all around brake pad.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait till you really hit a hard braking course, ebc yellow will fail, I actually had chuncks missing after two track events. A good daily/mild pad is Axis ult ceramics, but they will over heat on a heavy brake track like Road Atlanta, but they work great for daily/autocross/ and average track. I use Cobalt XR2 front and XR4 rear on the track. Great pads!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steguis
I've been running HP+ all around for now while on street tires (RS3s). but will go to ht-10s front/HP+ rears once I go back to Rs. Why HP+? Because they double duty as my autox pads and they're perfect for that too.
Hawk HP+ is a good aggressive daily/auto-x pad. That being said, they have been used on many HPDE events and do well for the 20 min sessions. Thats my personal experience with them and have not encountered fade issues. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switching from OEM to EBC yellow pads together with ATE blue fluids and tested them at the track last weekend. What an improvement. But the pads made quite a smell under hard braking. Sometime I was wondering did my clutch operation is not smooth enough. Anyways, I not 100% sure it's the pad fading but it feels like it was. I've to press the pedal harder and in-ward in order to stop at desire speed. I've been using this yellow pads on streets too, too lazy to switch back to OEM. And they runs fine on the streets, occasionally some noise, but acceptable. Cold braking is good as we are still in 50-60 degrees here.

Quick Reply: Brake pads for street/track use