S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake pads for street/track use

Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads for street/track use

Hey all ,
I'm looking for recommendation for front and rear brake pads that will suit for DD (low mileage) car , with some lightly track days , and mountains driving .
With stock pads (AP2) I'm experience some light fade on track (our track over here is more like autocross course) and medium-heavy fade at mountains drives .
Dont mind any of dust and noise , nor bite at street use (as long it'll stop) .
I do care most about fading durability , great bite and firm pedal feel .
Thought about XP10/XP8 , but as more as I read , I'm not sure that will suit for DD .

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a way of safely bedding XP10/XP8, then you can daily on them and not make noise. That being said, bedding them properly without a proper track is pretty much impossible unless you live by a road with zero traffic and law enforcement.

How about running XP8/AX6?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy at one of the other S2000 dot com's that lives near a track and did a lot of testing of many different pads. He recommended the EBC Red Stuff as the best all around brake pad (DD/Autocross/occasional track). I took his recommendation and am glad I did.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM

I run the XP10/XP8 and they are brilliant for daily use and track time. I used the Autobahn late at night to bed them in properly.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 AM

Thanks friends ,
Seems like it more then OK runing XP10/XP8 on DD .
Yes , I can bedding them properly .
I'm not sure about AX6 , why should I? better street performance?
Also , how about XP8 all around? would it be more ideal?

Don't want EBC , to much differences of opinion .
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll be fine on the XP10/XP8's. My recommendation is to get the pre-bedded option when ordering... It makes quite a difference. I prefer a staggered setup of XP10/8's versus 8's all around. It all depends on your preference and driving style.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I've run XP8s all around, I've run XP10s all around. Either are (relatively) streetable, not much warmup required.

HP+ is another option. Won't handle temps as high as XP8 or 10, but will handle temps significantly higher than OEM, and offer more bite than either. I've never had a problem running them at the track, but some have. These have tremendous bite even stone cold.

These pads will dust a lot more than OEM, and also may make some noise (squealing).

If you're getting more fade on mountain roads than at the track, you're doing it wrong. Use a lower gear and engine braking descending mountain roads rather than riding the brakes (only way you should be fading them).
Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how to decide whether to run same pad compound all around or more agressive at front?
i'm talking about OEM sized staggered wheels/tyres.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We typically use staggered pads because the car has a bit of a rear brake bias at the limits (as do most modern cars). This way, the front pads will lock up before the rears, which is far easier to control.

Additionally, most people go through 2-3 sets of fronts per set of rears, myself included.

As previously stated, properly bedded XP10/XP8 should make no squeaking/squeeling/screeching noises. At most, you'll have a 'metal wire dragged on metal sheet' noise, which isn't even audible except at parking lot speeds with the windows open.

@ Zdan: he's probably canyon running... I fade more going downhill in the mountains than I do at the track... and this is on ducted XP12/XP10
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

tx for the input!!!

so are you saying that we should give up on our looking for non fading pads for canyon run?

i have the same problem of fading during downhills.
on Miata i constantly had Hawk HP+ completely fading towards end of the downhill.
really scary stuff.

never had this with Axxis Ultimates.
too bad they're not available anymore.

Quick Reply: Brake pads for street/track use