S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bilstien PSS9 or Tein Flex with EDFC?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstien PSS9 or Tein Flex with EDFC?

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a set of coilovers for my 06, and I'm looking at the Bilstien PSS9 or Tein Flex. If I go with the Flex, also considering the EDFC, but I'm on the fence if it's worth the extra $$$ or not.

My car is a daily driver that may see a track day here and there, but I want to keep the ride height close to stock. I'm not interested in a big drop in height. I'm just looking for a good coilover that is as good or better than stock.

Question 1: Which coilover of the two is better suited to a daily driver?

Question 2: For those that have Tein and EDFC, do you use it enough to justify the extra cost?

Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. If you want stock ride height and stock ride, why do you want to get aftermarket coil overs? Getting a coil over that is better than stock is ambiguous. What do you way to do with the car? What about the stock suspension makes it good or bad? All this depends on what you want. If you want stock performance stay stock. Everything is a compromise.

2. I dont have this, but beyond finding out what initial settings work well on the street as you drive, I don't think the money is worth it. Just get out of your car if you have to adjust the rebound.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by robinson
1. If you want stock ride height and stock ride, why do you want to get aftermarket coil overs? Getting a coil over that is better than stock is ambiguous. What do you way to do with the car? What about the stock suspension makes it good or bad? All this depends on what you want. If you want stock performance stay stock. Everything is a compromise.

2. I dont have this, but beyond finding out what initial settings work well on the street as you drive, I don't think the money is worth it. Just get out of your car if you have to adjust the rebound.

Never said I wanted the "stock" ride. I just don't want a coilover that mandates a huge drop. 1/2" drop would be ideal for what I want.

As far as what I'm doing with the car....it's mostly a daily driver / weekend get-a-way / go find a good twisty backroad car. I might take it to the track at some point in the future, so I want something complaint enough for the street, but that I can firm up a tad if I get to the track.

Nothing is "wrong" with the stock setup...I do want something a bit firmer than stock, but not harsh. Which is why I'm looking at these two coilovers. I think they are probably my best choices that are in my price range.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest. I don't like either of your choices. The tein adjusts both rebound and bump at the same time. This is very undesireable from a tuning perspective. The PSS9 has a dubious adjustor that is not linear, so soft and 1 turn up from soft might be the same force, and then the last turn goes to full stiff very quickly. For the money, the koni yellow is a much better shock.

If you have to choose between those two, I'd go with the tein, but not with electronic adjustor. Also, It has stiffer rear springs (PSS9 has stiffer front), which will be more comfortable but you can change this on any coilover by getting your own springs, or swapping springs front to back.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have tein + edfc, but i do have a greddy system with their own version of edfc on my ae86. i find that it is very rare i would actually change the settings while driving,... well, pretty much never. now i can see that sometimes some streets in downtown la are amazingly bad, and it might be desireable to turn off all dampening for just a stretch, but usually i just get lazy and tough it out without touching the controls.

i haven't taken that car out on the track yet, but i know when i was messing with the hks shocks on my s2000 i would try out different settings between sessions, and it might have been helpful to be able to tune while driving. but otherwise, after i found the settings i liked, i never changed them afterwards.

so, i would say the edfc is a cool toy, and a nice to have. but it also adds complication and weight to your car, and is not necessary. i certainly wouldn't base my decision around it.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM

Robinson - No problem with honesty here, I appreciate it. I've found the install manual for the Tein's and it looks like they will get me to the height I want. Have to find the Bilstein install manual and see if it can tell me anything.

Orpheus - appreciate the info!! I was thinking that most likely I'd find a good street setting and pretty much stick with it. At least until it came time to go to a trackday.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is my 3rd non stock suspension and i love EDFC very much.

it helps to try different settings - with no EDFC becase of lazyness or/and difficulty i wouldn't be able to try so much different settings.

after i decided on the final setting it's pretty untouched.
but i do change to softest when i get to some streets which have completely ruined pavement.

i definitely would get EDFC again.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xredjar
Originally Posted by robinson' timestamp='1300807422' post='20385997

Never said I wanted the "stock" ride. I just don't want a coilover that mandates a huge drop. 1/2" drop would be ideal for what I want.

As far as what I'm doing with the car....it's mostly a daily driver / weekend get-a-way / go find a good twisty backroad car. I might take it to the track at some point in the future, so I want something complaint enough for the street, but that I can firm up a tad if I get to the track.

Nothing is "wrong" with the stock setup...I do want something a bit firmer than stock, but not harsh. Which is why I'm looking at these two coilovers. I think they are probably my best choices that are in my price range.
if you don't need the adjustably I would go with CR suspension and be done. There's tons of adjustment to go wrong if they are not set up right, and NO you can't get a stock ride by just turning the knob, although most company would like to you think you can. Not to mention it's way more forgiving to drive fast for novice driver on the track than a full on track suspension.

setting up suspension is what more complex than most people think, but once I am there, I never felt i need to change anything on the fly.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM

After doing some more reasearch, I'm also thinking the KW V2s might be a good package to consider.

Anyone know the spring rates and the minimum drop for the KW V2s? I've searched, but I'm not finding the answers.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 second worth of google search later:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...0-p-14319.html

Quick Reply: Bilstien PSS9 or Tein Flex with EDFC?