S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Anyone try new Hawk pads?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I've had the HP+ dual purpose pads and I enjoyed them as a beginner on the track. They were too grabby, dusty, and noisy on the street. I wouldn't touch any dual purpose pads now. I'm quite content with EBC red (ceramic) on the street. No noise, minimal dust, progressive bite, plenty of stopping power for aggressive street driving. If you need something more than this on the street, you are behaving very irresponsibly."

I also have HP+ pads and I would rate them at around 7/10 for my satisfaction. The stopping power is greatly improved over stock. The only down size is the dust and noise. The squeal is really loud, louder than a bus, but they only start squealing when the pads heat up. If I drive 10 miles to work or school, my brakes don't squeak. Brakes don't squeak if you put more than normal pressure while stopping as well. Brake dust isn't horrible either, you can clean your wheels with a simple power washer and some formula. The dust flies right off with any power washer.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 PM

The "race pads" from Hawk still have me curious to know how they perform, but since I can't find them anywhere still I started looking into EBC Yellow Stuff. Seeing as the Red Stuff has been recommended here, would anyone be able to tell me the pros or cons with choosing one or the other between Yellow and Red Stuff?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NatKingAlford
The "race pads" from Hawk still have me curious to know how they perform, but since I can't find them anywhere still I started looking into EBC Yellow Stuff. Seeing as the Red Stuff has been recommended here, would anyone be able to tell me the pros or cons with choosing one or the other between Yellow and Red Stuff?
You can get a lot of opinions on the Hawk race pads on the R&C forum. Personally, the Hawk DTC-60 is my favorite pad for the track. The torque curve has a wide plateau, so they are very easy to modulate. I have a couple sets of the Hawk HT-10 to try out, but they don't look as good on paper.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:11 PM

I'm currently running the stoptech street pads. They are slight upgrade from stock, but they do dust a lot
Old 08-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Hawk HPS on my 96GST,03S2K and my 02Z06.I've had no problems with them.I run them with slot rotors & SS lines.

For me,it's a good street setup.

I've got 23k miles on the S2K set.It's a DD with NO track time.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Been running Hawk HPS on drilled/slotted roters for years, first pads lasted a long time, I installed second set early this year after having the rotors serviced, added Stoptech SS lines. I DD and some autox and am very pleased w/the pads. Yes they are dusty, ( not to hard to clean off) some noise (more w. drilled/slotted) no fade on my car. They did not have the new pads when I did the brakes, I think I would have given them a try.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i'm a huge ebc fan. Reds occasionnaly squeek, medium on dust. yellows are amazing, very faint squeaking when cold, slightly less dust then a red.

blues are dusty as F, but the stopping power is awesome.

I'd also say that for street longevity, yellows>red>blue
track longevity blue>yellow>red
cold bite yellow>blue>red
hot bite blue>yellow>red

for an all round street pad, with the ability to autocross, i'd go with yellows.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

The Hawk DTC race pads work well on the track, but I wouldn't run them on the street as their operating temps are higher and people say they'll wear your rotors more when cold. If you want a "dual purpose" pad then HP+ will work if you're new to the track. Keep in mind the HP+ dust a lot and can squeal a little (they really aren't that noisy). To whoever said the AP2 pads dust a lot, don't try "performance" pads. Ideally you should swap track pads on before events and back to OEM pads afterwards.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
"I've had the HP+ dual purpose pads and I enjoyed them as a beginner on the track. They were too grabby, dusty, and noisy on the street. I wouldn't touch any dual purpose pads now. I'm quite content with EBC red (ceramic) on the street. No noise, minimal dust, progressive bite, plenty of stopping power for aggressive street driving. If you need something more than this on the street, you are behaving very irresponsibly."

I also have HP+ pads and I would rate them at around 7/10 for my satisfaction. The stopping power is greatly improved over stock. The only down size is the dust and noise. The squeal is really loud, louder than a bus, but they only start squealing when the pads heat up. If I drive 10 miles to work or school, my brakes don't squeak. Brakes don't squeak if you put more than normal pressure while stopping as well. Brake dust isn't horrible either, you can clean your wheels with a simple power washer and some formula. The dust flies right off with any power washer.
did you properly bed in the pads? you should be getting so much squeal. people often fail to bed and rebed the pads properly.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Back S2k
did you properly bed in the pads? you should be getting so much squeal. people often fail to bed and rebed the pads properly.
IME, non-street pads squeal. The harsher/more durable the track pad, the more inevitable/louder the squeal, generally. On the street putzing around town, it's only a matter of time (as in a few days) till the transfer layer gets worn away and the pads start squealing. Some folks say "just rebed them." Well sure that's possible, but who wants to have to rebed pads every few days? No one.. and hence track pads squeal.

I guess if you drive on the street like you do at the track perhaps you can maintain the transfer layer, but now we're talking about a different set of problems.. HP+ definitely shouldn't be "louder than a bus" though.

Quick Reply: Anyone try new Hawk pads?