S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Anyone try new Hawk pads?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try new Hawk pads?

Looking for some objective information or any kind of review on the new Hawk street 5.0 pads or the new "street race" pads. I know the general consensus here is to stay away from the street performance Hawk pads, and I was thinking I would just get some oem replacements, but I'm interested and concerned with getting more performance as long as I won't get fade as I've heard is common with hps pads. These two new pads caught my eye and got me curious about trying the 5.0 at least since I can't seem to find the "street race" pads (their naming is a bit ridiculous) for sale anywhere. I've owned my 2006 S for 2 years now and this will be my first pad replacement so I wouldn't be opposed to other helpful recommendations as well. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

if you don't plan on tracking the car, stay OEM.

No matter who makes the pad.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Good advice. Tracking the car may well be a possibility in the future however, which is the reason I'm concerned with extending performance.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 AM

running hawk hp+ on the street they squeal and dust but I love em.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the HPS. But ask mentioned, they are noisy and dirty. Go OEM and swap out for something better rather than compromising.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Savedsol
+1 on the HPS. But ask mentioned, they are noisy and dirty. Go OEM and swap out for something better rather than compromising.
HPS is junk. OEM pads are better than HPS

HPS and HP+ are not the same btw
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read several glowing reviews of the EBC Red pad for street usage. They might be worth a look. OEM AP2 pads may offer good stopping power, but they dust like crazy.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No experience with these new pads. from the hawk site, seems like it's a basic street pad:
"Not a replacement for our current HPS product, but a change that allows the driver to challenge themselves and their car with a new and unique driving feel.

High Performance Street 5.0 disc brake pads are designed to be the premium replacement pad for your American Muscle sports car, German or Italian Touring Sedan, Tuner Market, Light Truck and SUV with over 1900 vehicle applications offered.

The new High Performance Street 5.0 Pads are a Ferro-Carbon compound brake pads that provide advanced braking characteristics to enhance the driving experience."

I've had the HP+ dual purpose pads and I enjoyed them as a beginner on the track. They were too grabby, dusty, and noisy on the street. I wouldn't touch any dual purpose pads now. I'm quite content with EBC red (ceramic) on the street. No noise, minimal dust, progressive bite, plenty of stopping power for aggressive street driving. If you need something more than this on the street, you are behaving very irresponsibly.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Street race pad:
Perfect for aggressive street car owners that also use their cars for autocross, HPDE, open track and time trail racing. High Performance Street/Race pads feature Hawk’s mechanical (bond) retention system (MRS), slotted friction, hot bond shim, and pad chamfer that improve the vehicle handling, safety and driver confidence. It performs flawlessly at all temperatures and operating temperatures range from 100-1200F with superior torque while providing a consistent feel and characteristics
Old 08-13-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by billios996
IMO if you need something more than this on the street, you are behaving very irresponsibly.
fixed

It comes down to personal preference.

Quick Reply: Anyone try new Hawk pads?