S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Another alignment question/advice

Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another alignment question/advice

Hey guys just picked up my 2003 AP1 3months ago and installed coilovers and a whiteline front sway bar yesterday.
Got the shop to do me an alignment after the install and these are the results:

Front
Left -- Right
+0.06° -- +0.06° Toe
-1.54° -- -1.34° Camber
+8.26° -- +7.93° Caster

Rear
Left -- Right
-0.17° -- -0.16° Toe
-2.47° -- -2.51° Camber

I was wondering if these specs are good for street/track, should i do any changes to this? Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts

8 degrees of caster. Cot dang.

I'm guessing this car is pretty low...but the alignment guy put the front camber as far positive as possible?

Track settings depend on your driving style and other mods and your setup overall. Most people like *around* -3 degrees all around...give or take a few decimals. But...that usually gets dialed in after driving it.

Your car should probably understeer. So it'd be good to learn on.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Depends on the tires. The lower the grip the less camber you need. But yeah that's a whole load of caster, you're on the verge of having a steering shimmy. But if it's not wandering or anything like that over bumps you're ok. The settings aren't perfectly symmetrical, just personal preference but it shouldn't affect anything. Not bad, expect decent tire life, rears probably last around 22,000km

I like that your alignment guy put a little toe in at the front. I too put a little toe in at the front, helps mid-corner grip, which is in my opinion the only place this car lacks, and also adds a little bit of stability under braking.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Depends on the tires. The lower the grip the less camber you need. But yeah that's a whole load of caster, you're on the verge of having a steering shimmy. But if it's not wandering or anything like that over bumps you're ok. The settings aren't perfectly symmetrical, just personal preference but it shouldn't affect anything. Not bad, expect decent tire life, rears probably last around 22,000km

I like that your alignment guy put a little toe in at the front. I too put a little toe in at the front, helps mid-corner grip, which is in my opinion the only place this car lacks, and also adds a little bit of stability under braking.
I'm currently running Bridgestone RE003's. My steering hasn't shown any signs of vibrations or anything abnormal yet. ill be going back in for another alignment once the coilovers settle, should i lessen the caster down to 5-6degs for good measure?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by B serious

I'm guessing this car is pretty low...but the alignment guy put the front camber as far positive as possible?

Track settings depend on your driving style and other mods and your setup overall. Most people like *around* -3 degrees all around...give or take a few decimals. But...that usually gets dialed in after driving it.

Cars not too low i have about 2 finger gap from guard to tyre. Currently my AP1 just has coilovers, front sway bar and re003 on stock ap1 wheels, will be heading down to my local track in the upcoming months. This will be my first time taking the s2000 and first time driving a RWD as all my previous cars were FWDS.
So you recommend around -3degree camber all around?
Sorry im new to all this!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Nah I say leave it you're on the cusp, but if the steering isn't wandering over bumps shouldn't be a problem. Also your tires aren't sticky enough to warrant more than -2 degrees up front.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ptran
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1461346711' post='23945606

Cars not too low i have about 2 finger gap from guard to tyre. Currently my AP1 just has coilovers, front sway bar and re003 on stock ap1 wheels, will be heading down to my local track in the upcoming months. This will be my first time taking the s2000 and first time driving a RWD as all my previous cars were FWDS.
So you recommend around -3degree camber all around?
Sorry im new to all this!
Well..ideally, you'd want to track the car stock with good tires and track friendly brakes pads/fluid first.

But...since you've modded it, just try using your current setup as a baseline. Alignment angles depend on so many factors that it is much more effective to just drive the car first.

Which coilovers did you go with?
Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

Did you really get toe out in the rear?
I've seen some alignment shops interpret a negative reading as toe in as well so that why I'm asking.
Unless you like snap oversteer I would make sure to dial in some toe in instead.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:15 AM

^good eye.

Positive is always in, as far as I've seen. I missed that it said negative. I thought those were just dashes.

Negative rear toe (toe out) is an awful idea.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 PM

Have you tried it?

Quick Reply: Another alignment question/advice