S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Wheel, Brakes and Hub Restoration

Old 09-08-2024, 06:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Wheel, Brakes and Hub Restoration

As I continue my journey taking care of my AP2 and giving it the TLC it deserves, this is the latest thing I've come across where I lack experience. I have started researching on my own but wanted to make another topic here to see what the S2K community thinks.

Wheels

I pulled the wheels off to have a look around and also try to clean. I noticed from the start that it looked like it had baked-on brake dust and gunk inside the wheels and no amount of wheel cleaning from the outside could touch it. I sprayed them with a heavy amount of Koch-Chemie Magic Wheel Cleaner. I foamed them with Koch-Chemie Snow Foam and Green Star (ph12.5). Then hit them with the pressure washer. some of the darker shade of brake dust came off but the majority of the wheel is still much darker than the aluminum color underneath. And it is strange to me how it seems the darker parts are in little clumps or spots. I'm not trying to get them perfect. The outside of the wheels all have bad curb rash and will be replaced eventually, but I will keep them in my garage and in time may restore them fully. For now, I just want to restore them enough to look like metal and from the outside, have it look like it is totally neglected and black inside the wheel. I don't have experience with restoring this because I've never let my wheels get this bad on my other cars.

Wheel Hubs and Brake Calipers

When I took off the wheels I was greeted with hubs and brakes which look like this. The brakes have a grey chalk-like dust on them. The rest of the car has little surface rust here and there but the wheel hubs are pretty rusty by comparison.

I thought to try these kind of resurfacing pads to hit the rust on the hub using my drill. Any input on these? Anything else I can use to help remove or put on there to help slow the accumulation of rust going forward that's safe to use on the wheel hub?

I don't know what is on the brake caliper. Do you think I can hit them with the pads or do I need to use something less harsh?

Thanks in advance