S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Water in my headlight!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my headlight!

hey, its been raining here for about 2 weeks straight, and as of about a week ago I noticed some water must have gotten into my right headlight (ap1). the lenses constantly look foggy and full of condensation while the left headlight is perfectly clear. how should i go about fixing this?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Are your headlights stock? Have they been mulderized or have clear diffusers?

The most foolproof option (and difficult) is to bake them, clean them out, then reseal them. Some have tried removing the ballast and using a hairdryer with a garden hose or vinyl tubing. The problem is, that just fixes the issue and not your main problem. If water gets inside after a heavy rain or fog, the seal is already broken, so you'll need to reseal them.

http://ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf
Instructions on how to remove, bake, and reseal.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM

If you don't get the head light fixed by baking them. The ballast will corode. Buy a new ballast won't be cheap. The soone you fix the head light the better off you will be.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:53 AM

ill check that link, thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 AM

ive got the same problem..the baking and resealing seems really easy..i just think its the removing of the front bumper that might take a while.lol..
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by K.Shift
ive got the same problem..the baking and resealing seems really easy..i just think its the removing of the front bumper that might take a while.lol..
Actually, you'd be surprised. The bumper removal is quite easy... The baking was the agonizing part for me. You want it hot enough to pull it apart, but too hot and you'll ruin the whole assembly (which is $400+ a piece). A heatgun borrowed from a friend was really beneficial. And be sure to do this in your garage/backyard/etc. and not in the kitchen after baking. You'll get glue EVERYWHERE...
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Heres the solution take out the headlights and with a small drill bit just drill a hole on the bottom somewhere this let's the lights breath and no water will get in cuz the whole is on the bottom and won't be noticeable at all
Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xavierd
Heres the solution take out the headlights and with a small drill bit just drill a hole on the bottom somewhere this let's the lights breath and no water will get in cuz the whole is on the bottom and won't be noticeable at all
will this really work??sounds more simple than having to bake and reseal..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. I just went through this with a 98 Prelude I bought as a DD. The drivers headlight was full of condensation. First, find out how the water is getting in. For my Lude, the seal at the top edge of the light looked suspicious so I applyed a fresh layer of black RTV (I did not heat the housing and separate the lens). I also suspected the previous owner had changed one of the bulbs and had not reintalled the seal around it correctly. Next, I removed the high beam bulb and propped a hairdryer blowing into the hole. I let the dryer run a looooooooong time. I put it all back together and haven't had moisture in the light for 3 months now. For a S2000, You would need to remove the headlight assy to find where the water is getting in unless it is something simple like the seal at the back of the lamp around the bulb. The main thing is to find where it is coming in at and stop it. If you just drill holes to let the water out (as previous post suggests) then you will still have water coming in, bringing dirt and contaminants with it, eventually leaving the whole thing looking like crap. If a hole in the light to let water out was a good idea, Honda would have put one there.