S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Repainting whole car pricing? Northern VA

Old 05-25-2024, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repainting whole car pricing? Northern VA

Now that I have just picked up an OEM hardtop. I'm considering repainting the entire car. The hardtop itself has a pretty big dent on the passenger side (seen in the photo) and the driver fender + hood were not paint matched correctly as it is darker. At first, I considered blending the panels (quoted $2k), but after some consideration, I think it makes more sense to repaint the whole car (~$4-5k). Would you blend the front end or repaint the whole care? For those who painted their car how much did it cost you and if you're in Virginia where did you go? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2024, 05:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,242 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I had the front bumper on my car refinished several years ago here in Richmond and the paint blended to match the steel hood/fenders, plastic bumper, and new factory painted front lower spoiler so blending worked for me. Took a week.

You haven't told us anything about your car other than a couple photos which don't look THAT bad.

Is this a wrecked or hooptie car you got for pennies and want to restore? The photo taken in the auto (junk?) yard suggests that. Is the car in good enough mechanical and physical condition to warrant the cost of a complete repaint? To me cars are primarily machines not works of art so my limited disposable income priority goes to the mechanicals -- but it's your car!

-- Chuck

Old 05-28-2024, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I had the front bumper on my car refinished several years ago here in Richmond and the paint blended to match the steel hood/fenders, plastic bumper, and new factory painted front lower spoiler so blending worked for me. Took a week.

You haven't told us anything about your car other than a couple photos which don't look THAT bad.

Is this a wrecked or hooptie car you got for pennies and want to restore? The photo taken in the auto (junk?) yard suggests that. Is the car in good enough mechanical and physical condition to warrant the cost of a complete repaint? To me cars are primarily machines not works of art so my limited disposable income priority goes to the mechanicals -- but it's your car!

-- Chuck
I actually bought the car from the dealership fro 21k. Currently, there is 47k miles on it. From my inspection and the shop's inspection, the only issue is the alignment bolts might be seized, other than that everything checks out and is in stock. From my replies on Reddit as well I think the smartest option is to spend my money on tires, rims, etc. Everyone has been telling me they can barely tell the difference in color.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:05 PM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 216 Likes on 171 Posts

If you do paint the front clip or the whole car. Looking into the EXPEL PPF after the car is done. Worth every penny. Best of luck.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,242 Likes on 1,085 Posts

47,000 miles should make a very nice car assuming preventive maintenance. $21K, though, seems below market price in many places so go slowly.

I'd prioritize reliability and work the list one piece at a time until you get the car the way you want it. Looking at your pictures paint seems to be a bottom of the list item. An engine oil analysis will be comforting or terrifying but get one before dumping a lot more money in the car.

Tires are the most important driving/handling component. Threads abound. Nothing wrong with the wheels on the car.

-- Chuck