S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Rear quarter repair, remove the top?

Old 07-17-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear quarter repair, remove the top?

Hey all, looking for some advice. I'm rebuilding my AP2 after some rear end/quarter damage and currently at a decision point. My current passenger rear quarter is fairly mangled. I've got a frame guy that'll be helping me out w/ the frame/structure, and he's mentioned he may be able to pull out most of the rear quarter damage functionally, and then I'd tackle the bodywork finishing some other time.

On the flip side, I've found a local shell being parted out w/ a rear quarter that's in decent shape, for a decent price. From my understanding, the best way to leverage that is drill out the quarter's spot welds on each and swap over. This would minimize or maybe eliminate the need for future bodywork (filler) and likely produce the best finish. The pickle though seems to be the rear tray molding (below) covering some spot welds, which looks like it may require removing the soft top. I absolutely do not want to screw up the top and its fitment; full removal looks like a bear, and I already have a bad experience with my Miata's top adjustment and leaking (which is a simpler design).

So in the end, I'm trying to determine if it's worth the hassle and risk of additional teardown for the new rear quarter (if indeed req'd) vs. settling for whatever my frame guy can bend back. The car will be a dedicated track car going forward and not looking to return it to OEM quality, but it would obviously be nice if it didn't look like total poo-poo w/ mangled metal. A secondary factor is that I also bought a Ballade roll bar which I'll be installing, which from what I understand requires lots of interior removal but not necessarily the top.

What are your thoughts?

Old 07-17-2024, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as someone who's messed up a soft top before, I'd be cautious about removing it. Have you considered asking your frame guy if he thinks the repair will be good enough for track use? That might help you decide if it's worth the risk of swapping the quarter panel.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:58 AM

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Yep, to replace the quarter the top mostly has to come out. Removing and putting it back in is no issue really though. Mine has been removed and replace for a quarter panel replacement as well. Only thing is to pay attention to where the limiting straps bolt in. Mine were put back in the wrong spots. Fixable but kind of a pain after the fact.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bigstrusk
Hey all, looking for some advice. I'm rebuilding my AP2 after some rear end/quarter damage and currently at a decision point. My current passenger rear quarter is fairly mangled. I've got a frame guy that'll be helping me out w/ the frame/structure, and he's mentioned he may be able to pull out most of the rear quarter damage functionally, and then I'd tackle the bodywork finishing some other time.

On the flip side, I've found a local shell being parted out w/ a rear quarter that's in decent shape, for a decent price. From my understanding, the best way to leverage that is drill out the quarter's spot welds on each and swap over. This would minimize or maybe eliminate the need for future bodywork (filler) and likely produce the best finish. The pickle though seems to be the rear tray molding (below) covering some spot welds, which looks like it may require removing the soft top. I absolutely do not want to screw up the top and its fitment; full removal looks like a bear, and I already have a bad experience with my Miata's top adjustment and leaking (which is a simpler design).

So in the end, I'm trying to determine if it's worth the hassle and risk of additional teardown for the new rear quarter (if indeed req'd) vs. settling for whatever my frame guy can bend back. The car will be a dedicated track car going forward and not looking to return it to OEM quality, but it would obviously be nice if it didn't look like total poo-poo w/ mangled metal. A secondary factor is that I also bought a Ballade roll bar which I'll be installing, which from what I understand requires lots of interior removal but not necessarily the top.

What are your thoughts?

YES, pull it out. It's not that bad but then again I am experienced doing this. You should be able to remove the top & frame as one with a few more bolts removed and not have to mess with detaching and re-attaching the top. You can probably separate the soft top from the car to give you access to the molding bolts. Wish I was traveling to CT sometime soon so I could just quickly do it for you!
Old 08-20-2024, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you and found this video useful.

Old 08-21-2024, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone

Originally Posted by engifineer
Yep, to replace the quarter the top mostly has to come out. Removing and putting it back in is no issue really though. Mine has been removed and replace for a quarter panel replacement as well. Only thing is to pay attention to where the limiting straps bolt in. Mine were put back in the wrong spots. Fixable but kind of a pain after the fact.
Limiting straps like the modifry elastics?

Originally Posted by Pinky
YES, pull it out. It's not that bad but then again I am experienced doing this. You should be able to remove the top & frame as one with a few more bolts removed and not have to mess with detaching and re-attaching the top. You can probably separate the soft top from the car to give you access to the molding bolts. Wish I was traveling to CT sometime soon so I could just quickly do it for you!
I appreciate the thought

Originally Posted by ap1_cali
I'm in the same situation as you and found this video useful.

S2000 Surgery - Fixing CUT Quarter Panels on the S10K
Thank you! That's a golden nugget.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:46 PM

Also update: I did indeed pick up the rear quarter (and got the rocker with it even), so I'll prob end up removing the top as a whole assembly as suggested.
The following users liked this post:
Pinky (08-28-2024)