S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Painting Questions

Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting Questions

Hey,
ive been wanting to learn how to paint for a long time.
ive been painting wheels for 10 years with spray paint and have always had good sucess. I got a HPLV craftsman gun today with my 33 gal compressor. I couldnt get it to spray a clean coat. It looked like it had a ton of orange peel i just used an extra bumper i had laying around. My Question is i kept the pressure at the recommended 30-40 psi and i used duplicolor paint from autozone which is pre mixed and i strained it as well.
Do you guys think it was the gun being a craftsman? or the paint itself? i would love to paint my car myself but i wont if if im having luck like this. thanks alot
Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Your compressor is to small
2. Your gun isn't high enough quaility
3. You didn't mention what kind of moisture filter you where using, but you need a really good one to get a good finish...

That said - I use a 40gal compressor - but I put a pony tank inline to get my total volume up around 80gal. - harbor freight or Home depot have these for cheap -- you just have to plumb it.

I also use a cheap binks gun -maybe better quality than yours - but not by much - if you really want a good finish, buy a good gun that you can put different sized nozzles on... that is very important so you can match your nozzle size to the stuff you're spraying.

And it's VERY important to de-moisturize your air.
those little inline ones you get at HD or Lowes only work for a couple of hours before you have to throw them away.

Any DIY is a good thing
good luck!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything slackmaster had to say. I am only 22 but have been painting for about 4 years now.

I am using a crappy Craftsman Gun for primer, it has a 1.6mm nozzle on it. Its not a great gun by any means but its good enough for primer. A little orange peel in primer is ok, you will sand it anyways. I am using an Anest Iwata LPH-100 with a 1.4mm nozzle for base and clear coat. I have used a lot of guns in the past and the first time I used the LPH-100 it instantly became my favorite. The hopper is smaller and sit off to the right which look strange but its better for balance. Some people prefer to use one gun a change nozzles which is fine. I prefer a 2 gun set up. It costs a little more but I like it better.

Keeping the air dry is key. If you are still having issues with orange peel then try thinning the paint a little extra. If it says 4 to 1 mix it 4 to 1.5 or something like that. I would not trust autozone paint either. Try going to napa and picking up some martin senour. Its not the best in the world but it spray pretty nice.

Dont give up just keep spraying. Paint everything in sight (within reason).

http://www.anest-iwata.com/products/manual...ries=LPH100-LVG