S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my chicana silver blended.. at first, the painted parts were lighter too..once blended it looked a lot better
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Gee, I thought blending was always done. It's the only way to get two adjacent panels to match. But I do know it's not always easy to get the insurance company to pay for it. It was years ago, but the last two times I've had a car repaired it was a major effort to get the insurance company to pay for it.

Regarding the photo's, if you go to small claims, you'll need much better photos, no offense though. You need to take pictures in the full sunlight, no shadows, nothing reflecting in the paint etc, from several different angles. No flash. Take some more photo's under fluorescent light at nite, both the white one's and if you can find anywhere, the yellow ones. They will really make any differences stand out.

Good luck. But it sounds as if the shop owner is working with you.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 AM

I don't see a difference. But any painter will tell you its hard to match metallic paints w/o blending especially when your painting plastic. Hell, I've noticed on the Acura TL's and TSX's how blatantly obvious the mismatch is on the rear bumpers of those cars. Much worse than yours. I think yours is about as good as it gets man.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all future readers of this thread...

If you want a 100% match, find a body shop that uses BASF paint systems.

My body shop used to use Dupont/PPG, and then switched to BASF. The owner showed me around, and explained why BASF is so much better. For every "OEM COLOR" there are HUNDREDS of variations (believe it or not). BASF has samples of ALL these variations on swatches, and those are matched to your car. Result? Perfect match, every single time. Think of it as a color code WITHIN a color code.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

That sounds nuts.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM

it looks like sebring
maybe they got the wrong paint code?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM

if it was sebring there would be a great difference between the 2
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM

metallic paints are harder to paint, first off all if you dont use PPG paint or Dupont, the color will be harder to match according to the color code.

not only that but you have to get the right metallic % in the paint and make sure that it doesn't clog and flows and is painted quickly before the metallics settle at the bottom.

Just by looking at your pictures, the color is way off, the bumper they painted is lighter, doesnt even have the same gloss (clear coat) as the oem paint, and the metallics they used far exceeds the % the oem one has.

I can go on and on, but take it somewhere else, and ask for a refund.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

grrrr so frustrating. My car never sees dealership or shops for one reason. Every one is a **** up in my book. Then this happens. I guess I just wait. They still working on it.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first looking at the pictures, I couldn't tell the difference but then I did the corner eye look and you can definitely see the difference. As a shop with high reputation since they do Ferraris and Porches hopefully they get it right. It seems they are working with you so that sounds like a good progress. Just be patient (as much as that sucks) but it seems they are trying to do something about it instead of BSing their way out of it. Anyways, good luck with the color match.

Quick Reply: New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.