S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orange peel is not caused by too much paint. It's just how the clear coat flows out and dries. Having orange peel is normal. "All" cars have orange peel. Orange peel is actually good for you..Since the clear is more wavy it blocks more of the sun rays than flat "no" peel look. Of course sometimes painters dont get it slick enough and its kinda dry...Then you need a simply sand and buff job. "IF", its impossible to even see your reflection in the paint job then you need to a sand down and re-clear the panel for better protection.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by rustybolt,Dec 30 2009, 05:55 PM
Orange peal is not caused by too much paint. It's just how the clear coat flows out and dries. Having orange peal is normal. "All" cars have orange peal. Orange peal is actually good for you..Since the clear is more wavy it blocks more of the sun rays than flat "no" peal look. Of course sometimes painters dont get it slick enough and its kinda dry...Then you need a simply sand and buff job. "IF", its impossible to even see your reflection in the paint job then you need to a sand down and re-clear the panel for better protection.
orange peel is the sign of a bad paint job. that's it.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by keviNpx415,Dec 31 2009, 02:28 AM
orange peel is the sign of a bad paint job. that's it.
Your car from factory has orange peel. Look from the side you'll see.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rustybolt,Dec 31 2009, 08:47 AM
Your car from factory has orange peel. Look from the side you'll see.
orange peel is in the clear and is seen in every 2 stage paint job. It can be wet sanded out for a more flat finish. All new cars have orange peal because the factory only wet sands about 80% out.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 AM

small claims courts are very helpful especially if go in person and see a clerk. All you have to do is pay a nominal fee and fill out a page or two of information. Find out who the owner is and also the name of the corporation/company before you threaten to sue. After you get that information do a name search and get the owner's address (often done through the secretary of state website). Once you have the right information and they insist on saying that they are no longer responsible, then threaten to sue them and if they dont comply go ahead and sue the owner and corp. Once you get a court date make sure you prepare by taking lots of pictures and getting sworn affidavits from other body shops saying how bad the paint job was. Trust me, courts will side with the consumer especially given the facts that you have stated. The small claims process is pretty informal so its no big deal. Use the money and buy me dinner.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM

The paint on the bumper will almost never match the paint on the adjacent metal panels. Compare the tint of your front bumper cover when compared to your fenders, it will be different. The plastic panels are painted separately from the rest of the vehicle and dried at a different temperature. Also, keep in mind that paint attaches itself differently depending on the material that it is being sprayed on.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Difference was too dramatic. Sounds like you are okay with driving a two tone car. Not me tho
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
EOE

Don't look directly at the pix. Look away so you can see it just from the corner of the eye and you'll see what I mean by really noticeable difference.

Here are some not so good photos. Couldn't get pics from far because I was in the shade. But under right light looks way off. Might take pics before they repaint it.

This is what made the shop owner agree to repaint it.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM

that doesn't look too bad
Old 01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
EOE

Yeah like i said up close when picked it up wasnt bad. Then drove to friends and we both ohh and ahhd. It depends on angle but in direct day light its like a two tone vehicle however at night or shade its not bad at all. Well accept the fact that bumper is more dull and doesn't reflect as well.

I can tell you for sure If I tried selling the S2K right now this would be a huge eye sore for some one since they would be looking at it during the day.

Quick Reply: New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.