S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.

I was rear ended some time ago and finally after careful research and 2 months found a body shop I thought I could trust. 2 Weeks later I drop by to pick the car up and notice more then average orange peel.

I tell the owner I need it sanded down and rebuffed. He told me it's "normal" to have that much orange peel but they will do it for me anyways just so I am happy.

Now it's been a week I was snowed in and now that it melted my GF and I noticed the bumper color is way off. The silver paint is noticeably lighter. I had a heart attack and a stroke. Tomorrow I will be going back to the shop.

How should I approach this issue? What if they tell me to buzz off?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orange peel is not normal. It's what happens when you neglect to colorsand to smooth things down after it's been sprayed.

Paint matching can be hard with metallics. Especially if you take your car to a shop that doesn't use PPG paints.

My bumper's been dinged three times. The second time I had it worked on, I took my car to a shop that uses Martin Senour paints and they had to work on it for a week with a Martin Senour Rep onsite to match my Rio Yellow Pearl.

I used a different shop for #1 and #3. This shop used PPG paints and the match was perfect. The finish is shiny and smooth and you can't tell it's not original equipment.

Explain to the owner that the purpose of bringing your car to his shop is to get a stock-looking paintjob with stock-looking color and stock-looking smoothness and shine.

If he cannot deliver, he should have stated as much up front rather than wasting your time and money.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 PM
EOE

I left them a voice mail saying I will swing by the shop tomorrow and that there seems to be an issue with the paint and that it is really noticeably lighter then the rest of the car. Let's hope they don't try to play stupid and tell me they don't see the difference.

Blah I am stressed.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dmitri, sorry to hear that bro. If you dont get it straightened out next time you come up we can go talk to the body shop near me and see what they think. The blended my berlina perfectly.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM
EOE

Thanks Dave! I was just talking to Tuli we were thinking of swinging by and seeing you and Rose. Miss you guys. What you say?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have them repaint it, repaint it as many times its needed to get a close match.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I always use a credit card when paying someone to work on a car.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EOE,Dec 27 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Dave! I was just talking to Tuli we were thinking of swinging by and seeing you and Rose. Miss you guys. What you say?
Just give us a headsup b4, doors always open bro!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:00 PM
EOE

The mismatch was so bad even the owner told me it shouldn't be off that way. He said he can't promise perfect match but that did look bad.

They will get it redone in 2 weeks. The Orange Peel is so bad that my friend told me the bumper isn't even shiny. Now I am nervous they will mess up a second time.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to go to a better shop. I don't know everything about painting. But for sure you do not want layers of paint. I think orange peel is caused by too much paint, too thick of a coat without letting it dry in between. A real body shop will remove a layer of old paint before applying another.

Quick Reply: New rear bumper and paint. YAY? No not really.