S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

new parts dont match paint

Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new parts dont match paint

ok, so I have an 05 rio yellow s2000, I just bought a brand new oem lip and side strakes, I knew they weren't gonna completely match because my car is 6 years old and had to have faded a little bit. but I had no idea it was gonna be off by so much. what can I do to make them match?

I will take pictures later when I get home from work
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My GPW side strakes are a little off in color but hardly noticable. I have a 05.
I would think you would need to get them repainted to match rest of the paint.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM

thanks, I was afraid of that, guess I'll get em painted when my other parts come in
Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdoan112
thanks, I was afraid of that, guess I'll get em painted when my other parts come in
you can always try a light buff to bring back the paint.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even from the Factory the Bumpers, Mirrors and Door Handles do not match, they are darker.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Same thing happened to me with my rio yellow. The oem lip is a bit darker than the front bumper. Perhaps not as off as yours, but still off. I didn't think it was faded after being 5 years old, 10k miles and garage kept, but perhaps it is. When I look close enough, I can even see a very slight color difference between even the bumper and hood, doors, fenders. Amazing when you look hard enough, you can see things you otherwise never saw. The more I keep looking at it, the worse off it seems. At this rate I'm gonna take the damn thing off if I can't get over it.

Interested in seeing how far yours is off. Not sure what I'll do, but for now, I'll just live with it. At least my hard top matches.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnsS2000
Even from the Factory the Bumpers, Mirrors and Door Handles do not match, they are darker.
This.

The bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and accessories (other than Hard Top)are plastic and have a slightly different color when you really look at it. This is true for pretty much all cars. If the paint is really off I would suggest having the car professionally polished. Sometimes you can get the match closer to what you want, but it will most likely never truly be 100%. Honestly, the pre painted OEM items are a very very very close match to the OEM paint, at least in my experience.

Was your car ever repainted?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by JohnsS2000' timestamp='1305040418' post='20558825
This.

The bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and accessories (other than Hard Top)are plastic and have a slightly different color when you really look at it. This is true for pretty much all cars. If the paint is really off I would suggest having the car professionally polished. Sometimes you can get the match closer to what you want, but it will most likely never truly be 100%. Honestly, the pre painted OEM items are a very very very close match to the OEM paint, at least in my experience.

Was your car ever repainted?
They are a close match definitely. This new ap2 lip matches better with the metal painted surfaces better than the bumper. I never really noticed my bumper didn't match up perfect against the rest of car until I installed this. On my car, the oem lip looks like an add on, not like it was originally on car. I really notice it under the lighting in the garage. Outside in sunlight, it's not that bad. Perhaps if I had gotten one brand new in 06 I wouldn't notice hardly at all.

These are lousy iphone pics, but can you see the difference? I definitely can.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 PM

sorry, I haven't been able to post pics up yet since I've been busy, but it really has been annoying me. mine is worse than yours^. I'm just thinking about getting the whole car repainted in a couple months.

I'm not sure if it's even been repainted, since I've only owned the car for a month, but sometimes in different lighting conditions the paint from the panels looks a little different, so I think it might've been repainted

but I have a friend that says I should try wet sanding it. has anybody had any experiences with wet sanding?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rio Yellow Pearl is difficult for even experienced pros to match. I'd leave it to a good shop.

Quick Reply: new parts dont match paint