S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

New Hardtop/Softtop HELP!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hardtop/Softtop HELP!

Hello, I'm looking to buy either a new or used (good condition) hardtop or soft top or both...

skip to bottom to get to my question:
The morning of this past Coffee & Cars meet, my rear plastic window cracked as I was putting the top down. It might've been due to the fact that it was a bit chilly that morning and I had just washed the car the day before and used PlastiX to clean the plastic window. The bottle said it was safe for use on convertible plastic windows, but I think it hardened it a bit more; as now I have trouble with the window folding correctly when I put the top down. =/

I temporarily patched the cracked window (luckily, it was in the bottom and in the center of the window) and covered it up w/ cheesy stickers that make it look like a 16 year olds car.

Now on to my question...

I've only had this car for a month and have absolutely no knowledge about S2000's. I'm asking for any advice/knowledge/recommendations you guys might have about types of Hardtops & Soft Tops.

-Which kind of Hardtop do you recommend?
-OEM vs. Aftermarket vs. Knock-offs/Ebay
-Installation
-Pricing
-Quality

-Soft Top information
-AP1 vs. AP2 (plastic vs. glass window) is it an easy switch from ap1 S2000 to an ap2 S2000 soft top w/ glass window?
-Any fabrication, mods needed to make switch to glass?
-OEM vs. Aftermarket vs. Knock-off/Ebay
-Installation
-Pricing
-Quality

I recently went to a Honda Dealership and the guy quoted the Hardtop for $6,000. Really??? Said, I needed to get all these brackets, bolts, etc... Can't I buy the hardtop as one whole piece? Why would they sell it to me in pieces? Ridonkulus... same for the Soft Top which was quoted to be $1,800. Both quotes did NOT include installation.

=(

THANKS IN ADVANCE, for any info you can give me!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MghtyPtrck
I recently went to a Honda Dealership and the guy quoted the Hardtop for $6,000. Really??? Said, I needed to get all these brackets, bolts, etc... Can't I buy the hardtop as one whole piece? Why would they sell it to me in pieces? Ridonkulus... same for the Soft Top which was quoted to be $1,800. Both quotes did NOT include installation.
6k for an oem hardtop? that's insane! it might be cause they don't make them anymore, but you might find a few used oem hardtops for half that price floating around the classifieds. they're kinda hard to find

if you're looking for a hardtop, oem is never a bad choice, always fits and will most likely match your paint (depends how much your paint has faded etc) about 2500-3000

as for aftermarkets, there is mugen, spoon, and amuse hardtops. but these are jdm and authentic so it will be very pricey, easily can be above 4k and 5k. but i know mugen tops fit very well, pretty much like oem. don't know much about authentic spoon and amuse tops

knock off (mugen replica and spoon replica) i've only read manyyyyy bad things with chaser, fitment is off and bad customer service. so i wouldn't get a anything from them.
-mugen replica: most popular are extreme dimensions, vis, and forbidden usa. i might be missing others i'm sure other people will add in if i did. these tops fit fairly well for replicas. you might need to do some body work/fitting 1500-3500 depending on paint and material etc
-spoon replica: all i know is shine makes one and fitment was alright, not to sure about price, maybe 3k? no paint

as for me, i went with forbidden usa, heard many great things from them and they paint AND ship not many vendors do that so i thought it was a great deal. here's the link for them. my hardtop was 2k from them painted, all hardware, and shipped. haven't gotten it yet, should be coming in this weekend
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/826...-1275-shipped/

their fitment:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/826.../page__st__825

hope this helps you out!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 AM

6k was prob the quote for it installed.
stealerships charge out the ass for labor and i think it takes at least 2 people a few hours to install it.
i think majestic has a few red ones in stock but theyd be like 4k shipped i think.
you may as well get the challenge CF amuse replica.

if youre gonna go replica. i woud reccomend forbidden hard tops.
i think the frp ones with hardware, painted and shipped would be like 2300 (i could be wrong though).
from the reviews, they seem awesome and thats what i plan on getting eventually when i can spare some cash for it. unless i find a oem one local.
chceck the sponsor section.

as for the soft top, ive heard EZ tops are great and can be bought for $500 or so.
if you plan on doing the installation yourself, that should be it.

good luck.
sucks your top broke but at least you now have a excuse to get a better one.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
if youre gonna go replica. i woud reccomend forbidden hard tops.
i think the frp ones with hardware, painted and shipped would be like 2300 (i could be wrong though).
from the reviews, they seem awesome and thats what i plan on getting eventually when i can spare some cash for it. unless i find a oem one local.
chceck the sponsor section.
depends on the material you want, handlaid frp is the cheapest you can get. i got vacuum infused frp with everything and it was 2k. and i'll let you know how it is! mine is coming in this weekend
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Thank you so much!!! i will keep a look out for the oem but will look into the forbidden's

also, that $6k quote was just the parts/top without price of labor. I asked the guy who gave me the quote and thats what he told me.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Thank you so much!!! i will keep a look out for the oem but will look into the forbidden's

also, that $6k quote was just the parts/top without price of labor. I asked the guy who gave me the quote and thats what he told me.
yeah, that's a complete rip off, you can buy an authentic carbon fiber mugen hardtop for that much with all the hardware lol
Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Challenge has Carbon Fiber OEM replicas for $4250 and they weigh 23 lbs vs the 43 lbs of the OEM Aluminum one. I bought mine used from a member on here for $2500 with the hardware needed.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

new ones are not available unless you find a hole in the wall dealer that happens to have one which most dealers only ordered the tops per order from a customer(Prepaid)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnsS2000
Originally Posted by MghtyPtrck' timestamp='1318540027' post='21067941

new ones are not available unless you find a hole in the wall dealer that happens to have one which most dealers only ordered the tops per order from a customer(Prepaid)

http://www.cheaphondaparts.com/prodd...hp?prod=S03H19

the price seems a bit high but they seem to have them.
they could always hit you with a "not in stock" email after you order though..
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM

I work at a Honda dealership and I can tell you hardtops were 4100 brand new installed but they are not available anymore as far as I know used is your only option or a mugen spoon, replica etc...

Quick Reply: New Hardtop/Softtop HELP!