S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Installing black tape on windshield.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing black tape on windshield.

Previous owner remove the black windshield tape and I think it looks tacky as hell. Every GPW I see with the black tape looks much cleaner. I ordered the tape from majestics. Any advice or tips to retaping it back on the windshield?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM

I was wondering this for a while too. After some research, it seems like the best way is to just have it painted black.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Vinyl wrap it. Should'nt be hard.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

plastidip it
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm thinking about using Dawn's dish washing soap to remove the dirt and grease. Then drying it real good and retaping with the stock black vinyl.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Plastidip. Shit, it'll look better too. The windshield tape is shiny black, whereas your convertible is more of a matte look. Making both matte, seems to balance it out a little bit better.

Unless of course you plan of going with a gloss black hardtop in the future.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by VinceFriday
Plastidip. Shit, it'll look better too. The windshield tape is shiny black, whereas your convertible is more of a matte look. Making both matte, seems to balance it out a little bit better.

Unless of course you plan of going with a gloss black hardtop in the future.
Wished, I asked before ordering the stock vinyl. maybe i can return it and get the plastidip but will lose money with shipping . Where do you get the Plastidip from?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

The vinyl should be easy to replace. Prep the surface well, removing any dirt, etc. The vinyl should be applied to a warm surface and the vinyl itself should be warm and pliable. Only peel back a small portion of the backing when starting out and work your way over the frame peeling back more as you go.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I've actually removed and reapplied the tapes. Not a really fun job.
If you want a factory look, you'll HAVE to remove the rubber moulding that wraps around the window frame (not windshield).
You can tuck it in under the windshield moulding, but it must go under the rubber moulding that meets the roof.
You'll need some good plastic pry tools for the plastic pins for the moulding.
Clean everything with alcohol only. It must be spotless and the vinyl goes on dry.
Use plastic squeegies to get the air out and get the windshield edge in. There is a protective coating on the vinyl to keep from damaging while squeeging, but it's not too rugged, so be good to it.
As I recall, the center tape goes on first and there are small points on the vinyl that align with points on the car.
Overlap on the sides try to emulate the overlap and are inline with the convertible top's creases.
You'll need a butyl sealer to reattach the rubber at the top on top of the tape. I used a 3M product that is referred as dum-dum by slang. Came in a big roll that I pulled out like super sticky plumbers putty. Same stick and consistency as the OEM stuff.
Again, not a fun job, and lesson learned by me...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Can I pick up the 3M butyl sealer at home depot or any automotive store? Thanks for all the advice fellas

Quick Reply: Installing black tape on windshield.