S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Front Bumper removal PITA?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper removal PITA?

Hi, Anyone else had a hard time removing their front bumper off the first time? I had one seized screw on the top in the upper stiffener which i had to eventually drill out after trying everything. And most of the bottom screws that goes to the fender lining and the under guard were also stuck with the nut clip spinning with it so i couldn't take em out.

I managed to take the bumper off but now I have a screw hole that needs to be tapped and the fender liner and the under guard are pretty f'ed up and ripped where the nut clip is supposed to go. im thinking about using jb weld to put the nut clips back on.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken the bumper off numerous times and have never had any problems with the screws. The push/pressure clips under the headlights are what's annoying for me. I always feel like i'm ripping the bumper off when pulling it off those clips or putting it back on.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM

I think it was the first time it was taken off and the screws were really rusted. I'll use some anti seize when putting it back on, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future if I were to remove it again. Im just annoyed that the plastic guard got kinda screwed up cause the nut clips where the screw goes was spinning with the screw.

The plastic kinda got ripped. Was there anything else I should have tried before i snapped lol?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Yeah I tried to take my front bumper off to install by bumper plugs, And I almost striped the first screw, took it out and this brown stuff came out of the screw hole, looked like dirt. I decided to not worry about it and still don't have my plugs installed. People told me it was easy to install the plugs, BS. Oh the bumper is easy to take off they say... BS. Your not the only one
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S2000
Yeah I tried to take my front bumper off to install by bumper plugs
You don't need to take off your bumper to install bumper plugs... Just remove the license plate bracket apparel and push the plugs in from the outside.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S2000
Yeah I tried to take my front bumper off to install by bumper plugs, And I almost striped the first screw, took it out and this brown stuff came out of the screw hole, looked like dirt. I decided to not worry about it and still don't have my plugs installed. People told me it was easy to install the plugs, BS. Oh the bumper is easy to take off they say... BS. Your not the only one
I know. It can be very frustrating. But don't give up.

You don't need to take off the bumper for the bumper plugs unless the nut bracket thingy breaks off and falls inside the bumper which happened to me!!! If this happened to you, rather than taking the bumper off I would suggest you use some clear silicone to hold the plugs in the hole if you are not planning to use those holes for the plate anymore.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM

first time i took off my bumper everything was pretty rusty. just went slow and used alot of wd40 lol.