S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Experience with Paint Guns?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Paint Guns?

I just purchased an air compressor a couple of months back to make my life in the garage a little easier. So far it has been awesome, impact guns to take off wheels, air ratchet wrenches to unscrew bolts, I am considering get an airbag lift for the car to save me some time for jacking ext, ext.

I consider myself a pretty decent do it yourselfer but when it comes to body work I am completely clueless. I am considering purchasing a spray gun just to mess around with and get a little experience with paint. Know any good brands/models? Any pointers? Good DIYs that anybody knows?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My cousin and I sprayed his brother's accord a year ago with a kit we got from harbor freight ~$25. We got primer, paint, and clear from a paint shop. We read somewhere online that it was recommended to use a big air compressor so that we would not have to recharge the tank and risk getting humidity/water in the paint. Luckily we had a 50 gallon compressor. Also we used about 3 inline filters to make sure no water or dust gets in the paint at all. We just found instructions and diys off Google and followed them. The paint came out really nice after all the wetsanding after each coat. We did it in my uncle's garage. Watch out for dust and those little things. Set the psi correctly, don't over spray (keep light layers), and don't forget to wetsand. It was our first time and it came out really nice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by stupkid
My cousin and I sprayed his brother's accord a year ago with a kit we got from harbor freight ~$25. We got primer, paint, and clear from a paint shop. We read somewhere online that it was recommended to use a big air compressor so that we would not have to recharge the tank and risk getting humidity/water in the paint. Luckily we had a 50 gallon compressor. Also we used about 3 inline filters to make sure no water or dust gets in the paint at all. We just found instructions and diys off Google and followed them. The paint came out really nice after all the wetsanding after each coat. We did it in my uncle's garage. Watch out for dust and those little things. Set the psi correctly, don't over spray (keep light layers), and don't forget to wetsand. It was our first time and it came out really nice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Do you have any pics?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
I just purchased an air compressor a couple of months back to make my life in the garage a little easier. So far it has been awesome, impact guns to take off wheels, air ratchet wrenches to unscrew bolts, I am considering get an airbag lift for the car to save me some time for jacking ext, ext.

I consider myself a pretty decent do it yourselfer but when it comes to body work I am completely clueless. I am considering purchasing a spray gun just to mess around with and get a little experience with paint. Know any good brands/models? Any pointers? Good DIYs that anybody knows?
Harbor freight spray gun.
I know it may sound stupid, but they work really well for the price. You will need to purchase the HVLP kit, which includes 2 guns with adjustable tips and such. On the other hand, the non HVLP gun ($10) is very bad.
I have painted numerous jetskis with the paint gun kit, it sprays uniformly and can be used for both the primer and base / clear (with separate needles). The only downside is that they aren't very durable, I usually just throw them away and purchase the kit again for the next job I do.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by thinmint
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson' timestamp='1360082736' post='22315821

Harbor freight spray gun.
I know it may sound stupid, but they work really well for the price. You will need to purchase the HVLP kit, which includes 2 guns with adjustable tips and such. On the other hand, the non HVLP gun ($10) is very bad.
I have painted numerous jetskis with the paint gun kit, it sprays uniformly and can be used for both the primer and base / clear (with separate needles). The only downside is that they aren't very durable, I usually just throw them away and purchase the kit again for the next job I do.

Why would you need 2 seperate guns? If you clean a gun can't you use it for base and clear coat?

By the way I saw your build. How is it? Did you ever finish it up?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 AM

i would definitely practice on some random things before you go for the real thing. having good technique will save you so many hours in sanding. also, do your research on hvlp guns and how beefy of a compressor you need to run them. for some tips, check out customspraymods.com they have some great videos on getting started. also, i would practice with rattle cans as well. if you can produce good results from a rattle can, you definitely can get good results from a quality spray gun.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM

I have been looking for some information on a DIY for paint. I found a GPW 2003 that has the rear bumper a little banged up and I was wondering how hard it would be to paint it myself. As far as I can tell there is no damage to the bumper other than the paint. How hard would it be to match the color? It would be really cool if someone did a DIY for stuff like this. Maybe there is one and I just missed it.