S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

ebay oem rear spoiler

Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dds76
Originally Posted by zman0125' timestamp='1437526777' post='23688447
[quote name='dds76' timestamp='1437366986' post='23686177']
Just got mine last week from oem thing. No problem with the trunk opening with the remote,The weight with packaging from fedex is only 4.41lbs. Another happy customer. Fit perfectly and paint was close if not perfect, and my car is an 02. I bolted mine on and the holes matched up with the oem. Wish they made an oem style ap1 lip.
Did yours come with mounting hardware (mine didnt)? If not, what size bolts did you use?
My spoiler did not come with the bolts. Sorry I cannot remember the exact size. I think the thread pattern was the same as a 10mm from our car. Just make sure it's short because the threads on the spoiler do not go in very far. I used touchup paint and rubber grommets on each side. My Lowe's had the bolt's and the grommets. I also used the 3m tape that came with it to keep the water from getting under the spoiler. The tape is really strong and is more than enough to hold the spoiler on. I used the bolts for alignment and peace of mind, OCD I guess
[/quote]
Did the holes line up with the marks on the truck lid?
Old 07-22-2015, 03:27 PM

Alright so I need to realign the placement of my spoiler. Any suggestions on the best way to remove the tape?

I'm thinking heat and rubbing alcohol would be the best bet.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:28 PM

Yes the holes lined up on mine, I used a drill bit a size up from the screw to give a slight adjustment.

Not sure on how to get the tape off. I have used goo gone to remove left over adhesive when replacing my emblems.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took delivery of my painted Silverstone replica spoiler...

Paint match was 9/10. A little on the dark side, but my body shop says that this is not abnormal given the fact that the paint is laying on plastic, and not metal.

Paint quality was 8.5/10. I was just a tad disappointed. I know that we are getting a sweet deal ($99.00 versus $350-ish), but I was somewhat expecting the paint to be a little better of a "spray". When I run my hand/fingers around the paint, it's clear that the spoiler was not painted in a very clean room. You can feel little bits of dirt/grit...not a lot, but it was still detectable.

All that said, it's still a 8.5/10, which is still tremendous for the price...

My spoiler came with the double stick tape for installation, but not pre-taped to the spoiler. It came in a roll.

No adhesive promoter was included in my box, nor was any bolts (don't know if this is normal or not).
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think any of them comes with bolts. Mine didn't (or I threw them away, can't recall off-hand). I didn't even used the adhesive promoter and it's still attached after months of 100 degree plus temps and several rain showers/car washes.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone that ordered from oem.thing give me his PayPal account email address? It should be in the PayPal statement after you pay.

He offered to sell the painted rear spoiler for $87 shipped (the old price) if I pay him directly through PayPal rather than an eBay auction but he didn't say his email address and eBay has some filters that prevent you from sending the email addresses through their messaging.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

oem.thing123@gmail.com
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

^Thank you sir.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Ordered a lip spoiler for $88.00 - PayPal'ed $91.00 to cover PayPal charges. Requested that it be painted RYP.

They mentioned potential difficulties matching red, white and yellow - I figured that for the price, it was worth a shot.

Received it very quickly, packaged well, shipped from Taiwan - they provided tracking information as soon as it was shipped. FedEx actually delivered it Friday when it wasn't even due to be delivered until Monday.

Unwrapped it, the piece itself is very clean, nicely molded; the paint and clearcoat look very smooth and glossy, just the right amount of pearl, very good workmanship.

However, the RYP color is indeed off - the spoiler has a bit of 'golden brown' to it instead of the brighter yellow of the rest of the paint on the car.

Name:  2015-10-09_16-45-00_823.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  110.6 KB

I took a few pictures of it sitting on the trunk lid and e-mailed them back so they might be able to improve their color match for future orders - they were nice enough to offer a refund of $20 (the price difference between a painted and unpainted spoiler from them) since I will have to pay someone to repaint this one to be able to use it. Fair enough - still a nice piece for the money (although I will have to recalculate my opinion on what it is going to cost to have a shop color match and paint it - I hope it won't end up being cheaper to buy a new, already-painted OEM one from Honda (if they are still selling these anywhere)).

Will post an update once I find out...

Update - OK, I apparently chose the most expensive paint shop in North Carolina, so I'm going to keep looking for somebody to repaint this thing.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:20 PM

Update - OK, today I got a much more reasonable quote.

The shop I chose had 4 different variations of RYP in their color chip selection, so they matched one to my trunk lid and are going to shoot a color card for me to check out on Monday.

In the meantime, I'd been debating finding a source that still had NOS OEM spoilers since they were less than $100 more than the first quote I got to repaint my $88 eBay one, but then I got to thinking, what if I get my $400 NOS OEM spoiller in and it doesn't match either? So I figured that repainting the one I already have for far less than $400 is the wiser course.

I also researched buying the custom color-matched spraypaint and clearcoat that I found online and doing it myself, but it was also adding up to over $100 for supplies, and what if I screw it up? More money flushed.

So, going to get it repainted the RIGHT shade of RYP and go on about life being happy. I'll still be beating the price of an OEM by at least $100, an I know it will match exactly. Good enough for me...

Quick Reply: ebay oem rear spoiler