S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Convertible Roof- Small tear repair

Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Roof- Small tear repair

Hello, I have a small rip in my roof on my AP1. It has been patched before with something that looks like liquid rubber or something, but it has come apart again. The other side is patched in the same spot and is holding fine/looks great. I stupidly put the roof down when it was 15 degrees outside, so that is what made the small rip increase in size.

I was wondering what the best way to go about patching the roof is, and what everyone does? I was considering taking it to a professional upholster. I'll add some pictures soon, but it is in the usual spot on the roof rails toward the back of the roof, on each side. I guess i'll have to keep my roof up during the winter months

Any advise?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same scenario last year. I had a tear in the roof, glued it, cut/filler patched it, and etc....it just doesn't last. The roof eventually just blew off like a parachute. In the end, I just replaced the top with a new OEM replacement and with 2 new retractor band that were worn out.

I was quoted like $600~800(installed) for a professional upholster but I was told and was concerend about the fitment.

The cost of a new OEM replacement was $800'ish with the bands and $500 to install it.