Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

Will the cold hurt our car?

Old 02-25-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will the cold hurt our car?

I was just wondering how this cold weather will affect our car (mostly the top and seals). I live in an apartement complex and unfortunately have to park her outside in the cold. Yes she gets snowed on, but I don't like to even open the door when its cold out, mostly to "save" on the weather stripping along the top, as well as the door being frozen to the top and bending a little when trying to open her.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not just sitting out there in the cold unbothered is ok. Or is this cold doing terrible things to my top? My brother-in-law told me once that the winter weather is terrible for convertible tops. But I'm hoping that since I don't really touch her unless it's around 50-60 degrees outside, everything will be all right.

Is there anything to be concerned about this, or is it not really a big deal, especially since I don't really drive her when it's "wintery" outside anyways. Thanks in advance for you suggestions guys.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, an addendum to above. Do our tires (stock S-02's) really drive like they are ice even on dry pavement when it's cold out? From what I'm hearing, even if the roads permit driving her to begin with (and by permit I mean no snow/ice and no GRAVEL either), the tires will feel like you're driving on ice anyways due to the compound and the cold temps. Is it really unadvisable to drive when it's this cold, or is it really no that bad and you can do alright (in terms of just driving around town).

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive around in cold weather sometimes, and it is not a problem. I keep mine in a garage, so the weather stripping is not an issue. The tires act very differently in the cold, so just remember to take it easy for a while until the tires heat up somewhat.

M
Old 02-25-2003, 01:26 PM

Baldy, it's not good to just let her sit. Do a search for winterizing procedures. I don't have a garage either but she is covered and once a week I start the engine, let it idle til three bars to get all her precious bodily fluids flowing, as well as keep the battery charged. In addition, on the advice of others I roll her slightly so that the tires are not sitting in the same position. My understanding is that if you don't move it a little, the sidewalls can be permanently damaged. Also, speaking as someone who took 30 minutes to get out of my driveway yesterday with only a very light dusting of snow and mild incline, I would have to say the tires are crap for traction and I wouldn't risk it if possible. I've read it takes at least three miles or so of driving before the tires even remotely warm up and that even when *winter warmed* they will be hard and decidely un-sticky.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:44 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

As long as the roads are clear a leisurly cruise to loosten up the car should be ok in the cold.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:36 PM

I wouldn't even try to drive the car with S02's when there is snow on the ground. Cold weather is ok, but make sure you take it easy.

For leaving your car outside sitting, i would at least start it once every two weeks. I think the seals would be ok, just as long as you don't put the top down. I have heard horror stories of plastic windows cracking and breaking in pieces due to freezing temps.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]I wouldn't even try to drive the car with S02's when there is snow on the ground.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:29 AM

I wouldn't even drive the car in the snow unless I had snow tires. As for the cold I would think that it would be ok, unless you have a plastic window be carefull when brushing it off.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jackass
[B]

I got stuck in about 6in of snow last October on my SO2's and it took me 2 hours to go little more than 5 miles.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]

My car was stranded at work a few months after i bought it.

Quick Reply: Will the cold hurt our car?