Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

S2K in Denver

Old 11-08-2001, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K in Denver

It looks as though I may be moving to Denver and working in Boulder. I'm guessing that the S2K isn't practical for that daily commute, at least in winter. Can any of you ladies and gentlemen advise me

1. How many months out of the year is the S2K drivable out there.
2. How many months is it drivable with the top down?
3. Any recommendations for a winter vehicle, given that I hate SUVs.

Many thanks
Nick
Old 11-08-2001, 05:11 PM

New to the S2k, just got mine end of Oct. We had a meet last weekend...perfect weather.

Front Range is much milder than the interior of CO. Usually get some snow and then it warms up and snow is gone. Worst thing is the Sand/rock/chemical they use on the roads. I will not be driving the first few days after snow because of it.

Expect to be able to drive regularly sometime in April...But, then come the late Spring TStorms with the HAIL.

Since I haven't had the car long will have to see how it goes.
Old 11-08-2001, 05:12 PM

Oh,

BTW...

Welcome to CO...
Old 11-08-2001, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a common misconception that you can't drive anything not 4wd during the winter in Colorado.

Quite the opposite -- we seem to get less snow and ice in Denver / Boulder than my folks back in St Louis -- I have driven with the top down (had a 98 cobra convertible once upon a time) on 60 degree days in the middle of January...I also remember driving (just for the hell of it) with the top down and the heater full-on in a heavy snow storm....

Buy a set of snow tires, if you can practice some patience and intelligent driving you will make it through the winter just fine with the s2000.

Alas my s2000 sits in Seattle for the winter -- and by that I mean sits because you can't see shit with the top up -- and it rains just about every freaking day from November - July.

3. Any recommendations for a winter vehicle, given that I hate SUVs.
LOL don't move to Colorado -- more SUV's than anywhere else I have been. What color is your stook -- I will instruct my crazy SUV driving wife to steer clear of you
Old 11-08-2001, 07:53 PM

300 days of sunshine a year my friend. I plan on storing the car for winter but there will be days i am going to regret it.
My best friend has a drawer full of speeding tickets he got in January, on his motorcycle. My advise, get a junker to drive on the really snowy days and drive the S every other day. I promise you will only put about 1500 miles a year on the junker.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:50 PM

I'm a Colorado native. I was considering getting a hardtop but because of the weather here in Colorado, I decided against it. I love the look of the hardtop but we get too many warm and sunny days during the winter. I'd hate to drive to work with the hardtop on and have it warm up to 60 degrees and not be able to drop the top at lunch or on the way home. If I got the hardtop, it'd be much more for looks and much less for the winter.

I'm selling my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and getting an S2000 in mid December. It will be my only vehicle so I will be driving it year round. There is usually about 1 storm a year where I wouldn't be able to get out in an S2000. But they usually plow the roads and things are clear by noon depending on where you live. By the next day, you can almost always drive just about anywhere along the front range or the metro area. Every 5-10 years we get a real big storm and then you'll be stuck at home for 2-3 days w/o 4 wheel drive but that's pretty rare.

I've owned other sports cars and driven them year round. I can only remember 3 or 4 times where I couldn't go where I wanted to go because of the snow. I've even taken a Fiero up skiing quite a few times.

The thing I hate about the Colorado winters is all of the sand they put on the roads. There's a good chance you'll get a chip in your windshield especially if you get stuck in traffic behind a truck or SUV without mudflaps.

I think you will love Colorado because of all the days of sunshine...and hopefully by the time you get here, the Broncos and Avs will be playing much better!

David
Old 11-09-2001, 02:50 PM

I live in a resort town at 9000 feet. I intend on driving - weather permitting - May thru October. The past month, however, has been incrediblly warm and sunny, and I snuck a few days in. Every year it is different. The s2k isn't probably the most reasonable car to own. It is, however, the most fun car I have ever owned.

Sorry you hate suv's- have a 2001 Tahoe, a rodeo, and a GMC 2500 with a 8 foot plow. Not worried about the 30 feet of snow we get a year.

Subarus are a great compromise and an outstanding car in the snow. Outback better than a Forester I have been told -

Welcome to CO and good luck! See ya on the slopes!