Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

Rocky Mountain VAFC Club :)

Old 04-15-2002, 10:08 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I installed the VAFC this evening. Pretty simple job.

Step one: Remove the drivers foot well kick panel. To do this, you need to first remove the drivers door plastic sill plate cover. Both snap on and off with those silly plastic clips that always seem like they are going to break before they finally let loose.

Step two: Unplug the three connectors into the computer on the left side of the footwell. Pretty easy to spot.

Step three: Plug the cables that came out of the computer into the harness, and the harness into the computer.

Step four: Replace the kick panel cover and sill plate cover. You will need to pack the wires from the harness in a little to get the cover back on.

Step five: Route the wire to the VAFC head unit under the dash and use a few zip ties. I routed it over to the passenger footwell, and have the VAFC unit in the mesh cargo net. I also have some velcro on the bottom of the VAFC and on the rear trim piece of the shifter to mount up the VAFC when I want to monitor or tune. I really didn't want it to be visible all the time, and the cable wasn't really long enough to allow mounting it in the rear compartment and still be able to move it to a more visible location, all while keeping the wiring neat.

Step six. Turn on the car, and input the base information, which should not affect fuel delivery at all.

Everything fires up, no check engine light, gauges seem to work. Test drive tomorrow... Tuning soon?

These values where courtesy of VTECnology:

Under the Etc. menu'
Sensor type- 06in 06out
Car select- cyl4 throttle up arrow
graph scale- Pr:760mmHg Ne:9000rpm Cr:+or-9%(the Cr doesn't really matter though)

Under the settings menu
set your VTEC lo-hi at 5800 and hi-lo at 5700 (about, not critical at this point
set your VTEC Unmt at -2% for both of them
and your throttle point at lo 10% and hi 50%
Old 04-15-2002, 10:45 PM

Great idea Paul! This weekend is not a good idea, snow in the forcast.

It would work out better for me if it was a Sunday. Last time I talked to Paul at PFI he said we can even schedule a full day on Sunday. I will even bring my Neuspeed exhaust and rebolt it on to see if it was just a bad dyno day or if the exhaust actually created that much of a HP loss.

Even with Lane, pfb, and me $150 is a VERY good price for that much dyno time WITH a/f meter and tuning. Looks like we need to plan on a date and get rolling.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the April 28th work? It's a Sunday, I am supposed to have my VAFC harness by the 24th and I'll be gone for the following two weekends...plus this would mean I'd have the VAFC setup for use on the track at Pueblo on May 11th
Old 04-16-2002, 02:02 PM
pfb

April 28th doesn't work for me. I'm out of the country, but if it works for everyone else, go for it.

Lane, is Pueblo more fun than PPIR? The cobra guys are doing a track day at PPIR on the 4th/5th, and I likely wouldn't do both that and Pueblo on the 11th. Seems like one of those weekends is an alternative, but I'm leaning towards PPIR on the 4th/5th.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by pfb
April 28th doesn't work for me. I'm out of the country, but if it works for everyone else, go for it.
Hmmm...when are you out of town? Maybe a weekday? Kwando?

Lane, is Pueblo more fun than PPIR? The cobra guys are doing a track day at PPIR on the 4th/5th, and I likely wouldn't do both that and Pueblo on the 11th. Seems like one of those weekends is an alternative, but I'm leaning towards PPIR on the 4th/5th.
I think Pueblo is more fun, it's much more like 2nd Creek in atmosphere and the course is a lot of fun. PPIR is too crowded and has too many hot-shots for my taste, plus the chance for an accident was high enough there to make me overly nervous.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:08 PM
pfb

Weekdays work fine for me. I'm gone the 23rd through 30th.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:35 PM

A week day works for me. What day are we talking about?
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 AM

Since I won't have my VAFC until apx. the 24th why don't we try for the 1st or 2nd?
Old 04-18-2002, 04:07 AM

i might be interested in a dyno on the 1st. i'd like to get a reading on a stock s2k with 2k miles. let me know if you could use another participant.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:38 PM

Well I dyno'd Milo's car tonight and learned some very interesting things about the S2000 and V-afc tuning.
Our baseline run yeilded 196.6 rwhp and 132.4 ft.lbs torque
after 13 runs and much needed tweaking of the fuel and Vtec maps, our final numbers were
203.8 rwhp and 132.6 torque.
our graphs show gains throught he entire rev band which is a plus.

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain VAFC Club :)