Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

PMI

Old 08-24-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have one more my brother with his 02 WRX
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Experience: 1 season of Auto X, Too many times at IMI to remeber(motorcycle) Been to PMI for motorcycle race once. consider my self a moderate skill lv.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Less than two weeks away, I've got new rubber coming. Can't wait.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:49 PM

I got a set of AZENIS RT-615, and awee man are they nice. I cant wait to see how they do on open track. they did me well at last weekends SCCA race in the rain, I was super impressed. And the time ive spent on the street breaking them in has blown me away.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 AM

I'd like to introduce myself and make some suggestions for the upcoming track day. My name is David Muramoto and my racing background includes 21 years of SCCA competition in everything from showroom stock FWD racers (I started in CRXs and Civics) to full-out tubeframe GT cars. I've put down rubber at over two dozen tracks from coast-to-coast and held (or hold) lap records at many (including PMI). I've taught at SCCA and BMW schools and have run HPDEs for 350Z newbies over the past three years.

For the upcoming open track day on September 8th, I'd like to propose that we run a somewhat structured format with a driver's meeting, passing rules and follow-the-leader lapping sessions to get folks up to speed (at a minimum). We could also run threshold braking, accident avoidence and other driving exercises if everyone agrees. Hyper-Z asked for some feedback on experience levels and gotten only a limited response. I'm guessing that most S2K pilots (and others) have only limited experience at PMI, or any high speed road racing circuit. My ONLY interest in being such a control freak is to keep this a safe and fun experience for all. With only about 10 days before we head to Pueblo, I'd like to hear from the members here- what do YOU think about this?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM

I definatly think we need a drivers meeting and passing rules. And a follow the leader session sounds good for the people that haven't been there before.

As far as the rest of the stuff, I'm not sure how you are thinking of doing that. Like everyone go out on the track and practice these things or have someone talk about them.

The other problem is what to do with the people who aren't there at 8 that are just running half days. Also I assume your volunteering to do all this?

Don't get me wrong I'm not telling you we don't want any of these things, I'm just not sure how they will work at an open track day. But you have more experience with these things so maybe you already have a plan.

edit: I read some of your posts over at my350z.com heres the link for others that might want to read it
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207045

I'll talk to everyone I know that is going and get their opinions on how strutcured they want to be.

But a drivers meeting and passing rules are a definate, and we need a few people to make sure and greet people that show up later with the passing rules. And maybe even have a couple FTL sessions.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Yes I agree, with all points stated, and the tricky bit will be the implementation for late-comers, fortunatley it seems as though the majority are shooting for full day though, so hopefully everyone arrives around 8-830. We can have a phone number exchange for the late coming guys so we know when to expect them.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 PM

I also agree with all of this. I was talking to steve? at last weekends SCCA race, and we got on this topic. I also belive we should have passing rules, and also get everyones honest feelings on there driving. I was wondering if we should bring some color paper, or some way of defining a persons driving ablities on the track, so faster cars could identfy the slower drivers, and use caution, same for the slower drivers, so they know who is going fast. All rules should be disused at the track, but we should all agree on some ideas here first. We need to come up with a set passing rules. Ways to inform other drivers on the track that we intend to pass. ie flashing headlights. also ways of informing other drivers to slow perhaps hazards to let them know to slow for a driver that may be exiting the track or someone has spun. Stuff like this. Ive never done a open track day with cars. Only bikes, so I'm used to hand signs. But even then its not always obvious what someone is intending to do. All I know is that my car is going home from the track with no new dents or damage.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:17 PM

For passing at SCR I've always just used hand signs. And anytime there is a hazard on the track or you are cooling down or warming up or just going slower than normal you should have hazards on.

I do like the idea of having some way to identify slow and faster drivers on the track. Maybe colored magnets or something like that to put on the trunk and hood. Of if anyone else has any ideas.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM

I don't think that I'll be able to make it. I would like to, maybe next time.

Quick Reply: PMI