Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

Help Organize the First RM S2K Track Day!

Old 09-12-2001, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

during the denver-area S2K meet last sunday, there seemed to be a lot of interest in organizing a local s2k "track day". today, i spoke with the track manager at the Second Creek Raceway (near DIA). here's the deal:

PAYMENT OPTIONS

(1) we all just show up and everyone pays $60 for 1/2 day (4 hours...more than enough for most people) of lapping. we drive with everyone else who shows up that day including other cars and motorcycles.

(2) full day track rental is $1800 ( ) and half-day rentals are not available. even with 15 drivers you're still talking about $120 each, which is a little steep. but, we would have the track to ourselves for a whole day.

(3) "lapper" cards are available for $240. these cars are good for one car for five 1/2 day sessions, or 5 cars in one 1/2 day session. so, $240/5 people = $48 each. there is no discount for multiple lapper cards purchased at once but $48 is still better than $60 (see option 1). the track remains open to non-s2k's but with planning and the track manager's assistance, we can pick a day that will not be too crowded. <----best option, as far as i'm concerned.

SCHEDULING

(1) from now until the end of october, the track is usually open 9-5 for lapping from tuesday through friday. weekends are generally reserved for races, club events, etc. the black-out dates so far include 9/21, 9/27, 9/28, and 10/12.

(2) beginning november 1, which is the start of the "off season", the track is open 9-5 wednesday thru sunday...yes, weekends are then open to the general public.

so...my suggestion is we first take a quick count of how many people would be HONESTLY interested in doing this, then we'll pick an afternoon that works for everyone. post a message on this thread to "pre-register". PM me with any questions.

those of you who're on the fence about tracking your s2k, just do it! trust me, you will not regret it. you don't need any special mods to track your car...i run mine bone stock and it does fine. and it's not a race, so no need to worry about being competitive unless you wanna be. driving on track=fun.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:56 PM

The S2k will be new, I.E. not yet broken in. I'm not interested in tracking her yet. I would like to join in some track instruction, better driving, etc. If the instruction will not be available I would still be willing to show up and show off the "cool" blue.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don,

You know I'm in! Just let me know where and when. Also, do you have tools and a place where I could swap my pads out to my porterfields? My tools haven't made it here from Florida yet.

I say we do the "lapper" card and go for it one afternoon. I guess we have to get 5 or 10 definites.

Let me know..

Scott-
Old 09-13-2001, 06:51 AM

yeah, i think steve (w/the silver M coupe) has tools/space to do that. he doesn't know this yet, but i'm gonna make him help me put my pads on too. heh heh.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:29 AM
pfb

I'm up for track days just about any time... I've been to Second Creek numerous times, and would be happy to ride shotgun with a new track driver and show them the line, or take them for a few laps with me driving (my car or yours) to show you the line as a passenger.

Also, I've never been to the track when there where to many cars. Actually, a few cars on the track makes it more fun, IMHO, especially when you're being waved by by Porsches & Vipers

For those nervous, it's not quite as scary as you might think. Passing is generally limited to "wave by's", which means people don't try to race you in the corners, and pass you when you point them by on one side or the other. Of course if you're driving slower than traffic, you have to keep your eyes open and check your mirror often.

As for cars vs. normal fees, It would be great if we could get a discount by getting groups of five together, but the flexibility of just being able to show up and run is pretty nice too.

Finally, in addition to a track day we might set up, here are some club sponsored dates that should be open to all cars:

[QUOTE]
DATE
Old 09-13-2001, 07:37 AM
pfb

And in terms of days, I like Friday mornings best... Weekends are nice too, but much harder to find an available track day.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:22 AM

I would be up for a track day. Is the $60 fee per car or per driver? I am pretty sure my wife would want to take a few laps. Are helmets required?

I will need about a week to make arrangements with work.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those nervous, it's not quite as scary as you might think. Passing is generally limited to "wave by's", which means people don't try to race you in the corners, and pass you when you point them by on one side or the other.
You have obviously not had the pleasure of attending a track day with Speedy and attempting to get around him ....

Actually IMO Second Creek is very scary -- anyone with any vehicle is allowed on the track, no high performance driving history is necessary, no concept of passing is adhered to -- hell the last time we were out there some guy wanted to confirm that we were in fact running clockwise.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike rules and regulations as much as the next American, but I also like knowing that I am not likely to get smacked or killed by some yahoo out of control at 50mph.

I think it's great that you are offering to ride along with people here and I hope that everyone without any high performance or second creek experience takes you up on that offer -- and that as a group the S2k drivers can come up with and adhere to a set of passing / just general etiquette standards.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:08 PM
pfb

[QUOTE]
[B]I would be up for a track day.
Old 09-13-2001, 08:20 PM

I am a definate, I just have to have plenty of notice to get the time off work and get My slicks mounted up.

Quick Reply: Help Organize the First RM S2K Track Day!