Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

Advice Needed: Good route from Phoenix to Denver?

Old 03-20-2002, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed: Good route from Phoenix to Denver?

Next week, I am going to drive from Phoenix to Denver to spend a couple of days with college buddies. Can anyone give me some advice on the best route to avoid snow, but keep nice scenery and interesting driving?

How is US191 North to I-70 to Denver?

Thanks for the help,
Tanq
Old 03-20-2002, 03:43 PM
pfb

Some of the nicest routes will have some snow potential, as well as making the drive significantly longer.

The Segments from Durango/Ouray/Montrose/Gunnison or Montrose/Glenwood springs are very pretty, but you'll have to check on the weather and snow conditions. Lots of mountain driving.

My recollection of 191 through Utah is pretty straight and boring, but if you do go that way, hang a right in Moab and go down 128 to get to I-70. Very scenic.

Give us a shout if you want to get together for a beer or something...
Old 03-21-2002, 02:28 PM

pfb,

I will only be in town for 48 hours or so -- any chance we could get together for lunch on Thursday of next week? I would be interested in meeting some of you guys. Mookie is a friend of ours from past events.

Tanq
Old 03-21-2002, 04:00 PM

Geez Tanq I feel bad that you only received one response - makes it look like those of us in Colorado aren't a very caring or fun group - I can assure you that is not the case. mY guess is no one knows the answer to your question! Have a great drive out - hope you don't hit snow. BTW, so2's?
Old 03-21-2002, 05:24 PM

s2kskibum,

I got some pretty good info in PMs. It looks like I-40 W to Albuquerque, then north on I-25, to avoid snow. Yep, I am on S02s and my rears are at the wear bar...my new tires won't arrive until after I leave Phoenix.

I would like to meet some of you guys, since I am your regional director for S2KCA. I should have done a better job scheduling this, since most people won't be able to go to lunch. I will have to make another trip in summer , baby!

Tanq
Old 03-21-2002, 09:15 PM

Tanq,
That is probably the best route, the only place that might give you trouble is coming over Raton Pass if there is snow on it...worn S02s will make that drive fun if it is snowy...be careful! Also, they use these huge, nasty red rock chips on that pass instead of sand when it snows. Take it slow!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might be available for lunch on thursday. i'd need to be on the road by 1o. keep me posted.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooops....i mean't 1:00 pm.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:37 PM

It looks like I-40 W to Albuquerque, then north on I-25
Chris,
I think this would be the best route, this is the route that I am going to take for the weekend of the 6th. Raton Pass can get tricky if the weather is bad. Try not to get caught in any snow, I did one night coming home from work and it was not a good scene. I have new S02's and the car was all over the road. I can make the Thursday lunch but will need to be on the road by 1:00pm.
Look forward to the get together.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:56 PM

Great! If anyone wants to name a place that is easy to find, let's do it! Getting out by 1pm isn't a problem, since I need to get on the road by then anyway. I am leaving Phoenix tomorrow and will check in when I can find web access.

Thanks, guys,
Tanq

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: Good route from Phoenix to Denver?