R&C Parts For Sale Used parts for sale by members only
Mark this thread as Sold

Koni 8242 (aka TC Kline) double adjustable shocks - No longer for sale

Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni 8242 (aka TC Kline) double adjustable shocks - No longer for sale

5/24 edit: I didn't get a lot of response to my first post, so I've put the shocks back on my car -- they're no longer for sale. Thanks for the interest!

---

I'm selling my Koni 8242 double adjustable shocks. These are also sometimes known as "TC Kline" shocks. These are *not* just revalved Koni Yellows -- compared to Yellows, the 8242s have much larger shock bodies and shafts, and were designed as double-adjustable shocks from the start, instead of being converted to doubles after the fact.

My shocks were rebuilt and revalved by Jeff Wong at ProParts USA in August 2010. They were repainted standard Koni yellow as part of the rebuild, in case you're wondering why they're not white like other TC Kline shocks. I've put a few thousand street miles and a handful of autocrosses on them since the rebuild.

It's a pain in the behind to adjust the left rear shock, so I had a low profile adjuster custom fabricated. It stays on the shock at all times (although it's removable), and makes adjusting the shock somewhat easier.

Full disclosure 1: The brake line mounting tab on the front shocks interfered with large aftermarket sway bars (I run a Gendron 1.375" bar), so I cut it off. The paint used to cover the spot where the tab formerly attached doesn't match the rest of the shocks. This is visible on the leftmost shock in the picture.

Full disclosure 2: 8242s clunk when cold. This is not indicative of a problem with the shocks -- they all do it. Whether you care depends on how sensitive to NVH you are; I find it annoying, but I also run a stock exhaust because I find even aftermarket doubles too noisy.

Comparable double adjustable shocks from Penske, Moton, JRZ, and AST are well over $3000 new.

Thanks for looking!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Dropping the price to $1700 shipped within the continental United States, or best offer.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Dropping the price to $1700 shipped within the continental United States, or best offer.
Still for sale? What shocks are you moving to? How much do these cost to rebuild and at what frequency do they require servicing?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM

The shocks are back on my car since no one expressed serious interest. I'd still consider selling them for the right price, but it's not something I'm actively pursuing right now. If I did sell them, I'd probably switch to using Penske 8300s, which are much more expensive. The rebuild and revalve that ProParts did for me cost $700, so a plain rebuild would presumably cost less. If you really want to know, I suggest calling a few Koni rebuild centers directly.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by firefalcon
Originally Posted by PedalFaster' timestamp='1304356613' post='20529248
Still for sale? What shocks are you moving to? How much do these cost to rebuild and at what frequency do they require servicing?

Lee Grimes told me that it costs about $150 per shock for Koni NA to do a rebuild. Also, he said the shocks could easily last 5-7 years without needing service.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Worth noting: PedalFaster and his codriver topped our PAX class on Sunday -- a ton of national champions on the best equipment money can buy.

What was impressive: It was raining (shocker!), and they weren't on rains, but on A6s. Almost everybody else was on Wets. And it took a GTR on Wets three runs to catch them in raw time.

The shocks certainly didn't hurt.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
The shocks are back on my car since no one expressed serious interest. I'd still consider selling them for the right price, but it's not something I'm actively pursuing right now. If I did sell them, I'd probably switch to using Penske 8300s, which are much more expensive. The rebuild and revalve that ProParts did for me cost $700, so a plain rebuild would presumably cost less. If you really want to know, I suggest calling a few Koni rebuild centers directly.

Thanks!
I would have bought them, just let me know.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I have these shocks, and love them. Someone better scoop these up quick! All the little nuisance things like front brake line brackets and LR adjuster are done. I think most of us that own these eventually anded up doing the same thing. Plus it is a bonus they have been revalved.

BTW, is that adjuster completely custom out of delrin flat stock or purchased from McMaster and all you had to do is add the slot for the shock adjuster?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Hey all -- I'm going to take these off of the market for the time being since they're back on my car. Thanks for your interest, though!

Apeatwo: Yep, sorry about the miscommunication earlier.

Aristoi: I'm not sure (I didn't make it myself), but I think it was made from flat stock.