Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

When will you be done parking your S2k?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't drive my S2000 in the winter because:

a) I have the luxury of having another car for the winter, which has seat heaters, more room inside (to accommodate my bulky winter clothes!), and has very predictable and confidence inspiring winter handling, ie. understeer.

b) I have put a lot of work into the S2000, and even though it's getting on eight years old, it is mine and I prefer not to risk other drivers on compromised all season tires slipsliding into me in any sort of 'fender bender' type accident during the winter months.

c) I do basically all of the work on my car, and all the crap on the roads getting into the underside of the car makes it a big pain, especially suspension components. So far, everything on my S2000 has come apart like butter, with the exception of prop shaft to diff bolts, and that is, I feel, due more to the socket cap head type bolts and the awkward positioning of everything down there that only allows a 6mm hex bit onto the bolt.

d) With several cars, I spread my yearly mileage amongst them all.

e) It would be difficult to run the S2000 on a winter road trip to the mountains to go skiing.

f) The winter beater is 10 years old and is not in the best cosmetic shape anyway, so I'd rather risk that in the bad weather months than the S2000.

g) The S2000 was designed as a convertible, it was meant to be a summer car. I like to drive it top down as much as possible. All the sharp handling characteristics, plus the mods that go with it, don't matter much to me in the winter.

h) Running my S2000 in the winter would mean another outlay for 17" wheels and winter tires, to get around the Stoptech calipers. Why spend that when the money can be spent on fun mods, or when I already have a car equipped for winter? (Michelin Pilot Alpines FTW!)

I do go bonkers during the winter months not having a 'fun' car to drive. Hence the plan to resurrect my turbo Saab for 'intermediate' weather, so as to minimize the Volvo driving months. At any rate, the fiancee and I are planning to acquire another vehicle with AWD, and that is most suitable for our crappy climate. Current thinking is a V8 S4 Avant (but doesn't carry much stuff), an E-Class wagon with 4Matic (but hard to find) or perhaps a newer Volvo V70R. 300hp stock, ipd chip tuning brings it up to the 335hp range. Craziest would be a Jeep Cherokee SRT8, but that doesn't make sense on many many levels...

That, or move to San Diego or somewhere else warm!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson,Feb 23 2009, 11:37 AM
OK, I'm listening.
well for starters:

Salt from road + un-coated or un-protected undercarriage = rust = lesser resale value.

Car not driven in winter conditions > Car winter driven and exposed to the elements. It's not very hard to understand this.

I am going to assume you dont have an alternate vehicle, leaving your S the only vehicle to drive in the winter. If its your only vehicle, its expected, but I would bet 95% of the people on here, if they had a 2nd vehicle more suitable for winter conditions, would rather drive that and park their S.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by saaboteur,Feb 23 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't drive my S2000 in the winter because:

a) I have the luxury of having another car for the winter, which has seat heaters, more room inside (to accommodate my bulky winter clothes!), and has very predictable and confidence inspiring winter handling, ie. understeer.

b) I have put a lot of work into the S2000, and even though it's getting on eight years old, it is mine and I prefer not to risk other drivers on compromised all season tires slipsliding into me in any sort of 'fender bender' type accident during the winter months.

c) I do basically all of the work on my car, and all the crap on the roads getting into the underside of the car makes it a big pain, especially suspension components. So far, everything on my S2000 has come apart like butter, with the exception of prop shaft to diff bolts, and that is, I feel, due more to the socket cap head type bolts and the awkward positioning of everything down there that only allows a 6mm hex bit onto the bolt.

d) With several cars, I spread my yearly mileage amongst them all.

e) It would be difficult to run the S2000 on a winter road trip to the mountains to go skiing.

f) The winter beater is 10 years old and is not in the best cosmetic shape anyway, so I'd rather risk that in the bad weather months than the S2000.

g) The S2000 was designed as a convertible, it was meant to be a summer car. I like to drive it top down as much as possible. All the sharp handling characteristics, plus the mods that go with it, don't matter much to me in the winter.

h) Running my S2000 in the winter would mean another outlay for 17" wheels and winter tires, to get around the Stoptech calipers. Why spend that when the money can be spent on fun mods, or when I already have a car equipped for winter? (Michelin Pilot Alpines FTW!)

I do go bonkers during the winter months not having a 'fun' car to drive. Hence the plan to resurrect my turbo Saab for 'intermediate' weather, so as to minimize the Volvo driving months. At any rate, the fiancee and I are planning to acquire another vehicle with AWD, and that is most suitable for our crappy climate. Current thinking is a V8 S4 Avant (but doesn't carry much stuff), an E-Class wagon with 4Matic (but hard to find) or perhaps a newer Volvo V70R. 300hp stock, ipd chip tuning brings it up to the 335hp range. Craziest would be a Jeep Cherokee SRT8, but that doesn't make sense on many many levels...

That, or move to San Diego or somewhere else warm!
See, now most of that makes sense.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by fishs2000,Feb 23 2009, 02:46 PM
well for starters:

Salt from road + un-coated or un-protected undercarriage = rust = lesser resale value.

Car not driven in winter conditions > Car winter driven and exposed to the elements. It's not very hard to understand this.

I am going to assume you dont have an alternate vehicle, leaving your S the only vehicle to drive in the winter. If its your only vehicle, its expected, but I would bet 95% of the people on here, if they had a 2nd vehicle more suitable for winter conditions, would rather drive that and park their S.
Didn't hurt the resale value of mine. I wasn't even asked. It would take decades of winter driving to damage the undercarriage.

I do have an alternate winter vehicle (well my wife does). On a snowy winter evening, I will take the S every time.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have another vehicle (a 99 prelude) but i prefer the s2000 hands down. Rear wheel drive is just too much fun in the winter.

And i'm not worried about resale value, i plan to keep this thing for a while...and with the current prices of s2000's dropping like flies anyways it's just not worth it to only enjoy the car for half the year.

And as woodson said, i have never had a chip on the windshield and my front bumper is just fine (and my car is black) so i dunno what you people who speak of extensive damage from winter driving are referring to. Regular washes of the exterior and undercarriage are all that's required.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson,Feb 23 2009, 02:03 PM
See, now most of that makes sense.
Which is exactly what i was getting at.

1 - I have a 4x4 for the winter that i dont pay for
2 - I care about the condition of my bumper / windsheild and dont want to take the rist. Those who take the risk and dont get any damage....great, your lucky.
3 - Not driving in winter is keeping the kms down
4 - I dont have to spend extra cash on winter tires
5 - Because of the car being as light as it is there is an increase possiblity of an accident with the less traction. I can avoid any possible damage.
6 - Its not just me in my car, its the other careless drivers out there that warp into a frantic frill and loose control with a tiny bit of snow fall.

Those are the main reason. I simply care too much about the car and the POSSIBILITIES that could result from winter driving. I personally would rather not chance them.

Say you have a Ferrari F430 and a realiable 4x4. Which would you drive all winter? Why shoudl the S not get the same treatment? who cares if its 1/10th the cost? To each their own again, some people just care more i guess. Thats not to say you dont care about your car, it simply implies those who choose not to winter drive care a little more and wish to avoid the possibilities.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny how this forum degraded from when are you bringing the car out to having to justify why you don't drive in the winter. I don't belittle those who drive their S2000's in winter, I just don't have a need or want to.

I will bring her out as early in March as possible when the salt and muck is gone. I didn't invest in winter tires as I have a CRV for winter driving.

RWD is fun but I have a truck at work for drifting. Besides I have been winter drifting for almost 40 years. It's nothing new to me.

The S2000 simply drives much better in the warmer weather. I don't like the potential for damage from others on the road who really don't know how to drive. After any new snow fall you see skid marks all over the boulevards from Winnipeg drivers who don't have a clue.

Thanks but I'll avoid that where possible.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Which is exactly what i was getting at.

1 - I have a 4x4 for the winter that i dont pay for Great
2 - I care about the condition of my bumper / windsheild and dont want to take the rist. Those who take the risk and dont get any damage....great, your lucky. 3M
3 - Not driving in winter is keeping the kms down Then don't drive it at all
4 - I dont have to spend extra cash on winter tires Doesn't cost more.
5 - Because of the car being as light as it is there is an increase possiblity of an accident with the less traction. I can avoid any possible damage. Learn to drive
6 - Its not just me in my car, its the other careless drivers out there that warp into a frantic frill and loose control with a tiny bit of snow fall. Sounds like you're one of them

Those are the main reason. I simply care too much about the car and the POSSIBILITIES that could result from winter driving. I personally would rather not chance them.

Say you have a Ferrari F430 and a realiable 4x4. Which would you drive all winter? Why shoudl the S not get the same treatment? who cares if its 1/10th the cost? To each their own again, some people just care more i guess. Thats not to say you dont care about your car, it simply implies those who choose not to winter drive care a little more and wish to avoid the possibilities. Won't even comment on this one
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBobby,Feb 23 2009, 07:22 PM
Funny how this forum degraded from when are you bringing the car out to having to justify why you don't drive in the winter.
Hahaha i guess i am to blame for my earlier comment
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahaaha, i am lucky i get a free car.. hahaha to drive whenever..
of all the s2000's ihave owned.. i have probaly put less then 8000kms

Quick Reply: When will you be done parking your S2k?