Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Stereo / iPod suggestions

Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just burn MP3's onto CD and run in my HU. Even at 192 compression, I can get over 100 songs onto a CD and the titles scroll on my HU.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:45 PM

or if you're patient...

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/

I'm sure it won't be too too long...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris and others,
To say the quality of FM is equal to a direct input because of the low quality head unit is absurd. The difference between FM and CD quality is dramatic. Don't blame poor quality on the Honda head unit.

FM technology is incapable of reproducing any where near direct input MP3 or CD quality. It doesn't have the frequency response or dynamic range of even a mid range MP3 recording.

The quality of the FM low power transmitters is also very questionable. I have used two of these units and both were high battery consumers and very dependant on antenna location.

I purchased an Auxiliary Input Converter:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehonaux.html
from Logjam Electronics for $50US.

The installation was easy and the quality is the best it can be because it is "direct input".

The wrinkle with IPOD units is that companies now make input devices and head units that are compatable with the IPOD interface. They will display the IPOD menu and track information on the face plate of the head unit. Expect to pay for this convenience though.

Bobby,
Old 01-05-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=S2KBobby,Jan 5 2006, 09:49 PM]Chris and others,
To say the quality of FM is equal to a direct input because of the low quality head unit is absurd. The difference between FM and CD quality is dramatic.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

OK fine.

Your quote:
"I do recall writing that if you thought the sound quality of FM radio was good enough, than you'd probably appreciate the sound quality you'd get from one of the low powered transmitters. And I do recall writing that the stock speakers in the S2000 were low quality. If you think you can get CD or MP3 quality sound out of those, then you need to get your ears cleaned out."

I dissagree. The sound quality of the little FM transmitter is still worse than broadcast FM in my opinion. When the battery begins to die, easily 2 to 3 batteries 10 hour per driving day, the sound is even worse.

I will still take the audio quality of my direct input over FM, having used and priced both.

Yes, perhaps I do need my ears cleaned out.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM

I bought a Belkin FM transmitter yesterday to try it out. It plugs in to the in-car power outlet, so I didn't use batteries. Using the stock S2k deck and speakers, it pretty much sounded the way I expected... like a FM radio station. The one thing I found was that I had to turn the volume up to max on the ipod.

I used to be an audiophile (had a decent Nakamichi/PPI/Boston Acoustics system in my old civic back in the day), so I think I have a decent ear for these things.

While I'm not disappointed with the FM transmitter, I am debating whether or not to get a hard-wired solution. It will depend on the cost... if it is not much more than the $60-70 I paid for the FM transmitter, then I'll be going that route.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:59 PM

Hmmm... I seem to be having some trouble finding an adapter like what S2kBobby is using that works for the 04-05 S2000s. Does anyone know of any?

S2kBobby, do you happen to have pics of what your install looks like? Just curious to see where the wire is run and where you plug in your mp3/ipod.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html

Edit again: they don't ship to Canada! argh!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:11 AM

Okay I took the plunge on Saturday and bought a new head unit, iPod interface and a pair of new front speakers. I bought the Alpine CDA-9851 head unit, the KCA-420i iPod interface and a pair of Alpine front speakers (don't remember the model number). I will be ordering the Modifry's Dash Controls Interface later today. My installation appointment isn't until Saturday the 21st so I have to wait until then to see how it's all going to sound. Not including the Modifry DCI it came in at around $640 including tax and installation. By the time I get the DCI it will be probably around $775-800 all-in. More than the $500 I wanted to spend but it should sound better than the stock set-up.

Of course after I finally decided what to get (and bought it) I see that Alpine's website was updated over the weekend. They have a new head unit (CDA-9857) which seems to be even better and a new feature called iPod full speed. Looks like you still need an iPod cable that isn't included. It doesn't come out until March 2006 and I don't think I can wait that long. Oh well I'm sure the set up that I bought will do just fine.