Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Stereo / iPod suggestions

Old 01-04-2006, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo / iPod suggestions

Hey guys, I looked in the electronics forum for answers but didn't really find what I was looking for. Maybe someone locally can help?

I finally got myself an iPod and for the last few months have been loading all my CD's into my computer & iTunes. Of course I now want to start using my iPod in my S2000. So...here's my dilemma: What is the best way to go about this? I know I could use the OEM stereo but I would need to buy an interface for the iPod. At the same time I could buy a new head unit, but again I'd still need to buy an interface for the iPod and something like the Modifry setup to maintain the use of the dash controls. I am leaning towards spending a bit of money getting a new head unit but will all the choices I have no idea what to get. Has anyone locally already done this?

What kind of head unit (brand and model number) should I get? Ideally I only want to spend about $150 to $250 on the deck itself. From what I have read all of the head units out there still need an extra interface for the iPod which is not included (of course).

Ideally by the time I'm done I don't want to spend more than about $500 to have everything installed (dash control wiring, iPod interface, head unit and possibly a pair of new front speakers). I don't need top of the line equipment, because I still want to hear the scream of the engine.

Suggestions & recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 AM

To stay under your budget of $500 i think you are better off staying with the stock headunit. You are cutting yourself very thin to have everything you want for $500 with replacing your headunit. Last i looked, the wiring to make your dash controls work with an aftermarket HU is about $100US and the Ipod interfaces run about that as well. That would leave you maybe $250 for a HU and this is not including if you are looking to have it professionally installed. I am by no means a stereo expert, but this is just what i've gathered from various posts i've read.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, it so happens there was this exact question asked within the last week or so in either "Electronics" or "S2000 Talk". I wish the search worked better.
A suggestion was put forth introducing this new device that tapped into the stock HU via the CD changer input. The company even used an S2000 as their demo car to do the installation in a video on their website. We're talking a couple hundred bucks for that one. If I find it later, I'll post up the link.

Just found it:

http://www.densionusa.com/ice_select..._selector2.php
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's always the quick and easy way of just getting a low power FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the iPod. You tune it to a frequency that doesn't have a radio station and then you just tune your car stereo to the same frequency and start listening. If you're happy with the sound of FM radio, then you should be happy with the sound you'd get from this setup. Cost is anywhere from $60 to $130 at BestBuy.

Chris.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by chrissa,Jan 4 2006, 03:42 PM
There's always the quick and easy way of just getting a low power FM transmitter that plugs into your headphone jack on the iPod. You tune it to a frequency that doesn't have a radio station and then you just tune your car stereo to the same frequency and start listening. If you're happy with the sound of FM radio, then you should be happy with the sound you'd get from this setup. Cost is anywhere from $60 to $130 at BestBuy.

Chris.
I made that suggestion in that other thread and I got flamed immediately. The other poster said those FM things are garbage and don't work very well.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work just fine. I've seen three setups in action, and it may not have been audiophile sound, but the music came out the speakers. If you want audiophile sound, get ready to pay audiophile prices.

Besides, if this is being installed into an S2000 with a bone-stock stereo (head unit and those absolutely crap speakers), an FM transmitter will be the least of any sound quality issues. New speakers will vastly improve the sound versus pouring a serious amount of money into a hardwired iPod connection.

Chris.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Guess I'd better bump the budget up a bit! I don't want to have an FM transmitter and while I could live with the stock head unit I'd rather have a new one so that it will show the song titles.

I have seen some head units that are iPod ready (minus the actual interface) for around $150-200. I don't know how much they charge for the actual interface though...probably $100 is a safe bet.

I'm surprised with the good sales that iPods have had over the past few years that new car stereos don't come with the cable already connected.

Thanks for the link Dave, looks like that would work with the OEM stereo but would be $275-300 CAD by the time it arrived.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Good luck, Mike. I don't have the "ipod bug" just yet. I'm still happy with my "old world" CD changer technology.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by chrissa,Jan 4 2006, 02:15 PM
They work just fine. I've seen three setups in action, and it may not have been audiophile sound, but the music came out the speakers. If you want audiophile sound, get ready to pay audiophile prices.

Besides, if this is being installed into an S2000 with a bone-stock stereo (head unit and those absolutely crap speakers), an FM transmitter will be the least of any sound quality issues. New speakers will vastly improve the sound versus pouring a serious amount of money into a hardwired iPod connection.

Chris.
Do you happen to remember which FM transmitters you saw in action? I think I'll go that route for the exact reason that you mentioned... The quality gained from a hard-wired connection is mostly lost because of the poor quality of the OEM deck and speakers. I just want to be able to listen to the music on my iPod.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:45 AM

I use the iGriffin FM Transmitter in my S. It gives you a choice of using any FM station from 87.1 to 107.9. Plus, it sits flush with the iPod and only costs $50. I also have the iSkin Evo2 silicone skin for my iPod to keep it from getting all scratched up when it's sitting in my cupholder, and it has a beveled top, made specifically for the iGriffin to sit flush on the iPod.
The sound quality if great, and this particular FM transmitter doesn't use batteries like many other brands, it runs off your iPod battery, and shuts off automatically with your iPod after 90 seconds (or 60 seconds, I can't remember).

Quick Reply: Stereo / iPod suggestions