Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Skwaking Front Tires on a Front wheel drive

Old 10-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Skwaking Front Tires on a Front wheel drive

I know this may sound dumb, but I am baffled.

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege, love the car (not as much as the S) but great little run about. The car is fairly zippy. but since I upgraded the air intake and put the mazdaspeed exhaust on it, it is soooooooooo easy to squeal the front tires with out any effort.

I was also able to skwak shifting in to second the other day. Is this fairly normal on a regular standard or because I have upgraded it a bit is this the reason?

I know this is OT, but I couldn't stand the "oh she is just a girl" comments in the general public
Old 10-22-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's easier to spin the tires on a FWD car than a RWD car (all other things being equal) because of the weight transfer when accelerating; you are decreasing the weight over the front wheels and increasing the weight over the rear wheels. This is one reason it's so easy to spin the tires when reversing in a RWD.

Plus the fact you increased the HP with your upgrades.

Dave?
Old 10-22-2002, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus it is cold, which means less grip and more power Also, you may have crappy all season tires. Let me guess, you have Bridgestone RE92s right?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Former Moderator

Geez I am not sure what tires are on the car. Did a search at a protege site and can't find the maker of the tires. they are 195/50/16. I thought they were maybe Michelin, but likely wrong. I agree the colder weather does enhance the screech, However, even when the weather was warm it was easy. I think it is too easy to do this. I am not dumping the clutch nor reving high. Anyway, it was just a question of interest for me
Old 10-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator

The tires are Dunlop's Good Bad??
Old 10-22-2002, 08:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The answers given so far are pretty accurate. Another contributing factor is that a FWD car will put more of its power and torque to one driven wheel than the other. That's the reason why FWD cars can have "torque steer" issues under high load. Whereas on a RWD car with a LSD, you get more of an equalization of power to each driven wheel, splitting the power more evenly. The FWD car, however, can favour one wheel more than the other with most of the power. (You might be able to see this for yourself when the roads get slippery.) This, combined with what Woodson and Former said can make you a "tire squeeling" maniac.
Nothing wrong with Dunlops. They're a very good wearing general purpose tire. Not necessarily a performance tire but then, that's not why you bought the car, is it? If you think the rear tires on an S2000 wear out quick, you won't like it if you got performance tires on a peppy FWD car. Not only are the front tires your drive tires, they're your steering tires and your braking tires - a combination that would have you buying front tires at an alarming rate if you tend to drive briskly a lot.
Don't know if you're going with snow tires but what I've always done with my wife's cars (FWD's) is put snow tires only on the front. (I can't official recommend this as it is always better to have 4 snow tires for maximun safety.) Doing it this way makes it such that all 4 all-seasons tires wear out about the same time because the fronts share their wear between 2 sets of tires. Otherwise, we'd have to rotate the tires as per the manual or face having to buy front tires almost twice as often.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Consider also that as time goes by, your front tires are wearing away, thus facilitating the loss of front grip under heavy acceleration. From having driven many FWD cars myself, I am highly suspect that the addition of a simple intake/exhaust combo would make the car *that* much more powerful than before.

I agree with Danny that with the inclement weather bringing higher humidity and cooler temperatures, the car will perform better and if you try hard enough (why would anyone? ) you might even get a little squeal in third.

Asif
Old 10-23-2002, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

You guys are the best. I appreciate the intelligent answers. My driving habits are such that I like to have fun. Blame the S for this reason. Anyway, next year I will likely get fancy rims and performance tires for summer.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come you don't drive the S all summer?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Woodson
How come you don't drive the S all summer?
As one of the founding members of this club, Shelley's car is BRONZED for eternal keepsake.

Quick Reply: Skwaking Front Tires on a Front wheel drive