Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Shaw Cable Phone

Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Shaw Cable Phone

Don't know if I've posted this before (Alzheimer's ) .................................

Anyone have any comments about this? Good? Bad? Pros? Cons?
Can they retain a "smart ring" second number? If not, how would I get around losing my FAX machine function?
Since we can keep our phone numbers, does Shaw pay some sort of fee to Telus when they take customers?
(Telus is really starting to piss me off.)
Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 12 2005, 07:53 AM
(Telus is really starting to piss me off.)
I second that!

We're looking into switching to Shaw for internet and Sprint for home. If Shaw can do both that would rock!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Indecision,Aug 12 2005, 09:14 AM
I second that!

We're looking into switching to Shaw for internet and Sprint for home. If Shaw can do both that would rock!
Check with Shaw in Van. They do both here, but still has some deficiencies that I need to contend with.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Digital Home Canada and start reading. And seriously check out Vonage. They offer pretty much the same service for $15 less a month ($40 vs $55). And I understand that BestBuy is selling the Vonage PAP2 box for $75 right now. Vonage will give you a $65 credit and supposedly there will be no activation fee through BestBuy.

The only down side is that it'll cut slightly into your Shaw internet bandwidth. That's not a problem if you only download, but if you do file sharing, it'll hurt (Shaw's upload rate sucks). There are a few people over here who run both Vonage and Shaw and they can't tell the difference between it and a regular phone.

The cool thing is that you can take your Vonage box (which is a tiny little box) and plug it anywhere in the WORLD into an internet connection and you have your local number right there. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on Vonage myself. I recently upgraded a few services on my Telus line, and it went very poorly. My frustration is at an all time high.

Chris.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vonage is VoiP right?
i heard there is one problem with VOIP
emergency numbers wont be able to recognize your phone number or addy...
thats what i hear
Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4doorj,Aug 12 2005, 11:22 AM
vonage is VoiP right?
i heard there is one problem with VOIP
emergency numbers wont be able to recognize your phone number or addy...
thats what i hear
Don't know about Shaw, but Vonage is rolling out a new 911 service in the US right now that fixes that problem. Canada won't be far behind.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 AM

Ohh, and obviously, if there's a power failure in your house, chances are you're going to lose your VoIP service. You router and PAP2 adaptor run off of wall adaptors (but then so do most of today's advanced phones...)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 AM

Thanks, Chris.
Sounds very interesting. I've got a lot of reading to do and still some answers to get. It would seem from just scanning over the site, I'll need a second number for my FAX machine and that second number is almost as much money as the first number. And I need to find out how this system will work with all the extensions I have in the house.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:07 AM

You can go even cheaper! Primus, $30/month, same basic level of service, will work with a fax machine, and you can get a second number for $4/month (EDIT: though the second number and first number share the same line; not too sure how that would work with a fax machine answering the line; can you configure a fax to recognize a different ring pattern and answer based on that?).
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chrissa,Aug 12 2005, 11:07 AM
You can go even cheaper! Primus, $30/month, same basic level of service, will work with a fax machine, and you can get a second number for $4/month (EDIT: though the second number and first number share the same line; not too sure how that would work with a fax machine answering the line; can you configure a fax to recognize a different ring pattern and answer based on that?).
I currently have a "smart ring" and a ring discriminator for my FAX.
Primus, huh? Geez, more reading to do.

Quick Reply: Shaw Cable Phone