Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Running Documentary on my 1st - 2nd grind...

Old 06-20-2003, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took it in today, and two guys drove it, not long enough to heat up the tranny so said things seemed normal.

I gave them all the details of my grinds and suggested they should do something. It looks like my S will go under the knife in a couple weeks, hope it works.

Oh, I later ground again when stuck in stop and go on Macleod again. I have done that a few times on Macleod now so that street from the deep south to downtown will ensure a grind, don't get stuck if you have hot tranny 1st -2nd grind problem.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by blackS2000
just did a 1-2 grind a block away from home after a trip to Invermere and back...medium range revs on shift

my reaction was wtf

that makes total of 3 grinds now
Vlad, these grinds are heat related, after a long good run or stuck in stop and go traffic. Something just isn't right and we don't know which part is responsible.

Clutch?
Clutch master/slave cyl.?
2nd gear synchros?
Tranny fluid?

02's and 03's still have problems, guess that is why they said to hell with it and changed the gear ratios for 04'
Old 06-20-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u think there'll be a TSB done on the whole tranny if the 04's dont grind?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:42 PM

I ground the other day too.......i think it's something I've learned to live with......i think i grind every other time i drive it (on average)
Old 06-21-2003, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by s2oooboy
I ground the other day too.......i think it's something I've learned to live with......i think i grind every other time i drive it (on average)
That is no good man, I would get rid of the car if your not going to fix it. If you have the grind every other time you drive I am sure they can do the TSB 55 on yours since it is an 00' or 01'

I average once a week in mine now. Honda should own up to the fact that it is still a problem for the 02' and 03's.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:04 AM

Transmission syncros's gears and clutches are delicate parts. I'd imagine if you have been experiencing grinding for some time permenant damage has already occurred.
Myself, I always double clutch and stay far away from speed shifts.
Honda's for as long as I've owned them dateing back to a 1976 Civic have had weak snycros no dfferent than other import manufacturers.
I'll ask Mike to look at the tranny and moter mounts to see if something is out of alignment or broken. Although uncommon on a street car mounts will sometime wear out (common on a tracked car) causing the shift difficulties you describe.
I do agree this problem is annoying and needs to be corrected in order for you to enjoy the S2k.
On our Type R Integra race car we have had to replace the syncros twice due to the abuse which goes with racing a car. Definitely not an uncommon problem however one which is preventable if you are careful.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:15 AM

Thanks, even with the synchro change, I am concerned that it might be a clutch system related, if the tech who will be doing my replacement can comb over the clutch that would be good. It would be ashame to replace the gears just to find out it was a clutch release problem or clutch hydraulic problem.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 PM

One week till the operation, fingers crossed. I am pretty sure my 2nd gear synchro is off tolerance when heated, it feels totally different than another owners 02' in the heat of stop and go. There is no resistance at all going into 2nd, and hence a grind.

1st and 2nd gear replacement
clutch disk and TO bearing
Pressure Plate.

Any recommendation on any gotchas that can happen ie) greasing the spindles on where the TO bearing sits.. etc...
Old 07-08-2003, 03:57 PM

Anyone have an aluminum bat that I can use? I heard it is good for the stacking tolerance problems with the 2nd gear synchro?

That and a clutch free-play adjustment is the only options I have now since HONDA CANADA has no knowledge of any S2000s wth tranny problems.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:24 AM

Update:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=135342

How much of a clown is Honda Canada?

Quick Reply: Running Documentary on my 1st - 2nd grind...