Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Local Oil Questions

Old 02-18-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Local Oil Questions

Hey everyone. I was planning to go about 8,000 km between oil changes, but after only 4,500 my oil is really dirty. I have a feeling it *could* be from the oil filter used.

Where in Calgary can I buy a Mobil 1 oil filter for my S2000. Also, what model number is it?

I would greatly appreciate the help. I'm going to try changing it right away here with this filter and see if I can extend my change intervals.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmm, isn't 8000 kms interval kinda high? I change mine when it's almost at 5000 kms.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:22 PM

I went 10,000 KM in my RSX and the oil was still nice and clean.

I used to go 6,000-8,000 in my Civic with regular dino oil and it worked great too.

Thats why i think its this filter.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular oil is cheap anyhow so I wouldn't cheap out on oil changes
Old 02-18-2003, 01:00 PM

Oh no, thats not the point. My big thing is finding time. Hell, my car is really close to low on the dipstick, and the oil is showing signs of being dirty... but I simply can't find time to go do anything about it.

I have a day off tomorrow though, and I'm hoping by then, someone call tell me where I can find Mobil 1 oil filters
Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It may not be your oil filter that's causing your dirty oil. It could be your air filter. For Mobil 1 filters, try that little place I told you about to get the rear diff fluid. I think it is a Husky station in Inglewood just off Barlow. They claim to be official Mobil 1 distributors. Phone them to see. Also try Mopac on 16th avenue. Anyway, what ever is the reason for your oil getting that dirty in that amount of time, I don't believe your oil filter will necessarily resolve it.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:12 PM

How do you figure it could be the air filter? My AEM CAI has only been on the car for about 1,500 KM.

Its hard to say. I'm going to try a few different combinations and see what kind of success I have.

I'll check out that store tomorrow hopefully

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by koala
How do you figure it could be the air filter? My AEM CAI has only been on the car for about 1,500 KM.

Its hard to say. I'm going to try a few different combinations and see what kind of success I have.

I'll check out that store tomorrow hopefully

Thanks for the help!
But did you change your oil at the time you put on your AEM? Or was the oil in there long before your AEM. My point is that perhaps you were running a dirty air filter, which contributed to the dirty oil. Dirty air is the main reason you have dirty oil.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 PM

I changed the oil 2 days after I got my car (Dec 4th or so)... I put on about 3,000 KM before I had the AEM CAI installed

But I totally agree with you, it could very well be dirty air.

Have you ever cleaned your AEM filter? Whats the easiest way to get at it, without having to remove the bumper or anything crazy like that.

I was thinking of maybe jacking up that corner of the car and seeing if I can get at that filter from underneath
Old 02-18-2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by koala
I changed the oil 2 days after I got my car (Dec 4th or so)... I put on about 3,000 KM before I had the AEM CAI installed

But I totally agree with you, it could very well be dirty air.

Have you ever cleaned your AEM filter? Whats the easiest way to get at it, without having to remove the bumper or anything crazy like that.

I was thinking of maybe jacking up that corner of the car and seeing if I can get at that filter from underneath
First, get yourself a K&N air filter cleaning kit. It costs about 25 bucks but will last you years if you do it once a year. It will include the spray solvent for getting the dirt loose and the oil for prepping it before re-installation.
You don't have to remove the bumper to get at the filter either. You jack up the car and remove a few bolts that hold that corner of the under plastic and gently fold the plastic back.
See here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...4&highlight=AEM

Quick Reply: Local Oil Questions