Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Just checked Hellspire's dealer TSB sparkplug install.

Old 08-10-2002, 12:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just checked Hellspire's dealer TSB sparkplug install.

Hellspire wanted me to check the dealer's work from the new plug install he got yesterday. Plug 1,3,4 were torqued to 22 ft#'s. Plug #2 was torqued to 15#'s. He was told T&T's top S2000 mechanic was on it. I guess maybe he took off for donuts and let the lot boy do #2.
Here's a couple of pics of the 2 plugs side by side. I know this has been shown but this is just from a different angle under different lighting. The Denso is mine with 23,000 km on it and it was gapped to .042. The cleaner one (NGK) is from Hellspire's car and is one day old and was gapped to .041. Notice how the crush ring on the new plug is so much thinner than on the original plug.
ps. I had mine torqued to 20 ft.#'s about 2 months ago and all were down to 15#'s today. I put them back to 20. If, in another couple of months, my plugs back out again, I'll get some new plugs myself and crank them down to 20#'s and keep checking them periodically. I wonder if cthree is doing OK with his plugs cranked to 30#'s.

Old 08-10-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were replaced by itr_gary on thursday. He did mumbled something about the plugs looking a little different.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Seks
Mine were replaced by itr_gary on thursday. He did mumbled something about the plugs looking a little different.
Have you seen this post from dlq04:
"The spark plug as I understand it is changing from NGK PFR7G-11 to the same number with a S added at the end, to represent the new stainless steel retaining washer."

The ones I pulled out of Hellspire's car did NOT have the "s" designation on them. Can you get Gary to comment on this? If this is the case in all instances, it would seem that Honda is putting in the original plugs but only with higher torque. As I and others have commented before, this would appear to be Honda trying to get everyone into the dealers to have the new torque spec done and NOT necessarily to put new plugs in. New plugs may only be a way of compensating the customer for their time and to "overshadow" the fact that Honda made a big booboo in the original torque spec that has caused several engines to have already blown up.

HAS ANYBODY ACTUALLY TAKEN NOTE OF THE EXACT PART NUMBER ON THOSE REPLACEMENT PLUGS?
Old 08-11-2002, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll ask to see the replacement part before I put my car in next monday. Gary if you can comment on this, that would be great.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
I'll ask to see the replacement part before I put my car in next monday. Gary if you can comment on this, that would be great.
Even better would be if they just gave you the "kit" and I'll put them in for ya. If they do that, I'll go get my free plugs too.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:41 PM

somehow I doubt they will give me the spark plugs. I can let them do it and get it checked right after. If I have a spark plug that cracks since I didn't go in for the update they might give me a hard time.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:55 PM

do u gotta let the engine cool down a couple of hours before u install the plugs? I think Gary is doing mine on Wednesday along wtih the 12 000 km maintenence check....
Old 08-12-2002, 12:19 AM

The new part number is on the bulletin. I'll look again to confirm tomorrow but I don't remember and "S" on it. The 2 sets I've done so far, I replaced one set of Denso and one of NGK, I think the part numbers on the plugs were the same but the new plugs appearance was less "cad plated gold colour looking" more silver, as in the picture.

If I had any plugs to give, I'd give the plugs to the customer and let them put them in. As long as I trusted that customer to put them in right. Mind you I'm just guessing here but I assume that most of you guys wouldn't mind if I was the one that put yours in!

(Oh yeah and no, you don't have to leave the car for any length of time to change the plugs. It takes less than 1/2 hour.)
Old 08-12-2002, 05:10 AM

We need a guy like Gary down here in Calgary. "the best 2000 guy" is out to lunch
Old 08-12-2002, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2oooboy
[B]do u gotta let the engine cool down a couple of hours before u install the plugs?

Quick Reply: Just checked Hellspire's dealer TSB sparkplug install.