Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Honda Type 2 Coolant in Calgary

Old 04-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Type 2 Coolant in Calgary

So, I head over to Calgary Honda yesterday to get some fluid supply (couple bottles of MTF and a couple bottles of Type 2 coolant). I ask the guy at the parts counter for the Type 2 and he kind of looks at me funny then brings out a bottle of the old coolant type that you have to mix yourself.

I ask him, "You don't have any of the OEM Type 2??"

"Nope, but this stuff is EXACTLY the same but without the added water. We've never stocked the Type 2 stuff. We only use this stuff in our service department."

Hmmm... I take my two bottles of MTF and leave. I head on up to T&T and ask their parts counter guy.

"Sure we've got Type 2. That's the ONLY coolant available from Honda. We haven't stocked the other stuff for at least three years."

I bought my two bottles and left.

I'm not sure what to make of this experience. What exactly is Calgary Honda doing? Did they just buy up a ton of old stock and decided to cut some corners? Is the old coolant exactly the same as the new stuff? I know the new stuff is supposed to last two years longer, but is that because Honda created a new formula or did their engineering department just get more optimistic and re-badge the old product (not the first time I've seen that)? I wish I knew.

Either way, I'm a little hesitant to go back to Calgary Honda now. Though I casually asked the parts counter guy at Calgary what they are putting in the S2000 differentials. He pulled out a bottle of that 80W90 stuff mentioned in the Canadian TSB that xviper posted a while back. At least they know about that. Mind you, I'm still putting in a bottle of Mobil-1. The Honda bottle was not very descriptive of what it was. All it said what that it meets GL-5 spec and that was it. Maybe we should send a bottle down to Road Rage for some analysis.

Chris.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:03 PM

I know what to make of it: It's Calgary Honda, what'd you expect?
Old 04-17-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's put it this way:
MY'00 was the only year of S2000 that had engine coolant that needed to be changed in year 3 of service. All subsequent MY S2000's has the Type II coolant and the service manual states that it can go 10 years. The two coolants are not the same.
You should have seen what Calgary Honda did to BlackS2000 for his oil change and spark plug recall. They left off the fill cap on the oil change. You can imagine what his engine bay looked like by the time he got home. When I inspected his spark plug a couple days after they did the changeover, each plug had a different torque ranging from less than required to over 30. The correct torque is 18.
And my experience from years ago with Calgary Honda tells me that of all the Honda dealers in and around Calgary, they are THE WORST place to go for ANY kind of service, warranty work or parts knowledge.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by xviper
they are THE WORST place to go for ANY kind of service, warranty work or parts knowledge.
And they're a block away from where I work... Ohh well, looks like I get to occasionally enjoy a drive up to T&T every once in a while from now on.

Chris.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why they have a shuttle! I'd tell you to come to me but I don't think our shuttle guy would get you to work on time!