Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

hit n run question...asif or anyone

Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit n run question...asif or anyone

I was eating lunch with a friend, sitting by the window in a restaurant..and the car was parked infront of the restaurant (parallel parking), clearly in my view. My view and seating was "4'oclock" to it.

There was a spot infront of my car but it wasn't big enough to fit anything (except for a Smart or an Echo). I saw many attempts by people to parallel park into that spot but never made it.

There is this rented Pontiac that tried to back into the vacant spot. I started to get worried and the next thing you know, his right rear bumper was against my left front bumper. At the same time, there were these group of 4 friends who happened to be walking by and saw what happened. One of them (coincidentally enough, owns an S) told the driver that he hit my car. But the driver ignore him and took off to another spot.

I came out, the witness told me what they saw, so I went few cars down the street to confront the driver. I told him he hit my car and he said no he didn't. But I mentioned I got 4 witnesses (and that does not incl me) that saw what happened. He started to get agitated and we (plus his occupant) walked to my car. Even though there wasn't noticeable or visible damage, I decided to get registration, etc from him. He refused to give them to me. He said there is no damage, blah blah. I was trying to be sincere and act professionally but unfortunately, the 40-50 yr odl asian guy was being a stubborn idiot. So I just took note of the rented car license plate.

So what is the concensus here? I have 4 witnesses, .. make that 6 if that includes me and my friend. The other driver had 3 passengers at that time (1 is a very old grandma though).
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM

That sucks, but if there's no visible damage...

Just curious, why did you mention his ethnicity?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson,Jul 26 2005, 02:24 PM
That sucks, but if there's no visible damage...

Just curious, why did you mention his ethnicity?
Considering that I"m asian, I know that we can be really stubborn and cheap sometimes and won't admit to things
Old 07-26-2005, 02:06 PM

I did not know that.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

According to the letter of the law, any time two or more vehicles come into contact, irrespective of damage, a collision has occurred. As such, the driver of the offending vehicle has a legal responsibility to exhange his information with the injured party. Failure to do so can result in a charge being laid against him.

Thats the letter of the law. Now for some of my own artistic license if you will:

The only objective proof to attest to a collision having occurred is some witness testimony coupled with some corroborating physical evidence, i.e. damage. In this case, you are lacking the latter, and are only left with what your buddies saw. Since he too, no doubt has buddies who "saw" what happened, it becomes a matter of "he said-she said." Since there was no damage, and not even any paint transfer it would be upto a Civil court judge to assess the situation on a balance of probabilities. The laying of a charge under the Traffic Safety Act, while possible, would be mediocre at best.

My own opinion is that the offending driver had to give you his information, but since there was no damage, and nothing to claim, you don't really need it anyway. Most insurance adjusters will throw your claim to the bottom of the pile; it's not worth the hassle for anyone involved.

I hope that helps. Feel free to post/PM if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Asif
Old 07-26-2005, 11:53 PM

You got off lucky, some asshole gave me the old hit-and-run treatment on the weekend... scraped the crap out of my rear bumper, and dented my right rear quarter panel. Unlike yourself, I did not witness it, nor have anyone to witness it. All I know is that whoever hit me was driving a yellow vehicle, because that's the colour left behind on my car. I figured it would be cheap to fix, so I took it to the bodyshop for an estimate... at first glance, I was told $700ish, but could end up being as high as $1,000.
Believe me, I don't even have the words to express how pissed I am. I could have found much better ways to spend that money
Old 07-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that old dude sucked =[

but yeah that was not cool

and yeah i was there when it happened