Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Getting a S2000

Old 10-07-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by midship
[B]Seks - yup. You are "Calvin L**"? Darn my name is all over the net now..
Old 10-07-2002, 02:23 PM

I remember you were trying to sell a Spal fan on the Canadian forum, and I recognize your sig.

So how do you like the S2000? You have a MY2002 right? Care to comment on the difference between the MR2 and the S? I am not lucky enough to drive or sit in one yet.

xviper - what's the most obvious symptom that an S has been abused?

PS the spell check on this forum is great
Old 10-07-2002, 02:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by midship
xviper - what's the most obvious symptom that an S has been abuse?
If it hasn't been replaced under the TSB, I'm guessing the clutch (how it feels, where it's friction point is, if it slips under load). Also, if the tires haven't been replaced, this will tell a story. Then there's the "noises" from the rear drive train. Without tearing these things apart or at the very least, checking the engine oil and diff fluid, it would be hard to be sure. Excessive and abnormal valve train noise might be worth a closer look.
ps. Don't buy "rage2's" car!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by midship
I am not too worry about your SLK32 because I will be running as Rookie next year while improve my driving. To compliment my new found hobbies Solo2+top down+handling+special+reasonable price ....
But I may not be competing in the SLK 32 next year... might bring out a different car... we'll see how this winter goes first =).

As for fitting your needs, the S2K definately fits the bill. That car will force you to drive smooth to get the most speed out of the car. Price is great too. You're lucky CSCC is running PAX next year, this year, I got screwed cause I was the only AS entrant for most events, which means I ended up competing against the SS guys too in terms of points.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]ps. Don't buy "rage2's" car!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information and good people on here too. Most of what you asked has been covered already. If I remember correctly, early MY2000 had a seatbelt recall. That coupled with the recent spark plug recall are about all you'll need to worry about.

Check the tires for excessive wear, indicative of a spirited owner. There again, the tires do wear early so thats not necessarily a tell tale sign.

Examine the windshield carefully, and use any cracks or chips to your bargaining advantage. From what I recall, an OEM S2000 windshield costs in the region of $6-700 installed.

Finally, there are still some MY2002s kicking around, so if you're looking at buying new you may find yourself a relative steal going with a car that is theoretically a year old.

Good luck!
Asif
Old 10-07-2002, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the board.

There is a nice red 01 at Heninger Toyota. I think the price might be reduced down to ~4200 now. It has about 9000kms. You might want to have a look at it.

The S is a precision scapel, be like a surgeon and it will slice and dice to your desire.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by rage2

But I may not be competing in the SLK 32 next year... might bring out a different car... we'll see how this winter goes first =).
You have another car! Can I visit your garage sometime!

Originally posted by FormerH22a4

There is a nice red 01 at Heninger Toyota. I think the price might be reduced down to ~4200 now. It has about 9000kms. You might want to have a look at it.
Thanks for the head up. I thought it was gone, because I saw it 2 weeks ago. I think I will go check it out if I can get my act together

Thank you guys for your warm welcome! I wish the local MR2 group appreciate more about handling and driving pleasure like this group is. They are more of a boost hungry bunch!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:36 AM

I remember you were trying to sell a Spal fan on the Canadian forum, and I recognize your sig.
That has been sold to someone in Ontario a few months ago.

I still have the stock exhaust, stock springs, and a brand new antennae for sale. Interested?

[QUOTE]
Old 10-08-2002, 07:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, what's a "MKII"? I take it we're NOT talking about an old Lincoln, are we?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]OK, what's a "MKII"?

Quick Reply: Getting a S2000