Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Getting a S2000

Old 10-07-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a S2000

Hi all,
I am new to the board and would like to know more about S2000. Lately I have been thinking about getting a S2000 and would like to get some insight from you guys.

How much do I have to pay for a new 2003 S from the dealership? What was the price you paid for your if you bought it new?

I have read 2 black S2000 for sale at Canadatrader.com, both are MY2000 and both are asking ~41K. Is that a reasonable price? ( one with 35K? , one with 9500 )

Does anyone know the history of the black one on Charlesglen toyota lot?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the board.
'03's should list at about $49,000 + $850 freight and $3500 GST
There is a ton of info you should search, but this will get you started:
'00 and '01 have plastic rear windows, while the '02 and '03 have glass. Big improvement.
Tires are expensive and you will go through them quickly.

See this post: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=79802
Old 10-07-2002, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, and welcome to our local forum. I can't comment on the 2 used S2000's currently for sale. Perhaps some of the other Calgary guys will post when they see this thread. A brand new one lists for about $49,000.00 plus tax and this would be a good time to deal on one as winter is coming and convertibles don't generally sell well right now (you should be able to get 2-3 grand off at this time of year). But remember to write into the deal, any options you might want - hardtop, wheel locks, block heater or anything else that you might fancy. Check the "HandA" sponsor banner below to see what all there is available.
A typical '00 model runs about $34,600.00 (wholesale) to about $39,900.00 (retail). Get these things checked out thoroughly before buying.
I'm sending you a PM with more info.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:24 AM

Wow Ambrose, I thought you were kidding about the S2K. It would make an awesome AutoX car with some R compound rubber!

As for used pricing, I've seen a few this summer in the 36-38K range (MY2000) so if you are patient and wait a bit you might find a killer deal over the winter.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:56 AM

Ambrose? Ambrose Fung? U're the Ambrose that owns an MKII?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:00 PM

Hey rage2! Did know you are on this forum too! You are just everywhere! I am still "studying" the possibility of getting a S. Have you had any experience driving the S on Solo2? The reason why I might want to get an S is becuase with selling my car I will only need to invest ~15K to get a "used" one verus paying for upgrade and maintain my car. Not to mention I can run in stock class! Hahaa.

I have read MY2002 is the best year as far as the tranny is concern, not to mention the glass window. So can you guys what I should be looking for when I test drive a MY2000/2001?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:06 PM

Seks - yup. You are "Calvin L**"? Darn my name is all over the net now..
Did you sold you MKII, turn around and get a S? Lucky u!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by midship
what I should be looking for when I test drive a MY2000/2001?
Tire wear might indicate if the suspension is "off" and needs alignment.
Operation of soft top and windows.
All lights and electrical - those HID's are expensive.
Clutch feel - will it need a new one soon?
Any unusual noises coming from the drive train - tranny, rear diff, CV joints.
Condition and level of oil.
How does the engine sound and will it accelerate smoothly and powerfully to redline?
Brakes - will it need new components soon?

(Feel free to add to this list.)
Old 10-07-2002, 12:24 PM

Hey rage2! Did know you are on this forum too! You are just everywhere!
Yes I am a forum whore .

I am still "studying" the possibility of getting a S. Have you had any experience driving the S on Solo2? The reason why I might want to get an S is becuase with selling my car I will only need to invest ~15K to get a "used" one verus paying for upgrade and maintain my car. Not to mention I can run in stock class! Hahaa.
I've driven a few S2K's hard... really hard. But that's mostly on the street. Due to the high revving nature of the car (and the amount of engine braking available when you let off at high rpms), it's a very well "throttle controlled" car, something that will work well for Solo2, especially tucking in nicely for tighter corners.

The S2K in my opinion is the championship winning car for next year under PAX rules, but it will take a skilled driver to get the most out of it, having to keep the car in the powerband. The AutoX courses do have some slower corners, which may be a problem becuase revs might be too low in 1st. I can't really say until I try one at one of the events next year.

I've been beat pretty good in my SLK 320 on the roadcourse by the S2000, and seeing as it's in the same class as my SLK (AS), and I'm placing in the top 3 consistently in PAX scoring, well, you get the idea =). I came close to buying a S2000 just for the summer before the wife came back from school, but missed out on the opportunity.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:09 PM

I do understand the "short" coming of the S under normal driving condition. (I had a 91 CRX Si before I bought my current car)

I am not too worry about your SLK32 because I will be running as Rookie next year while improve my driving. To compliment my new found hobbies Solo2+top down+handling+special+reasonable price .... I have to say S2000 fit the bill. I test drove a Miata before, but I think it really needs more HP.

I think HP/weight is much better in the S2000 than the Miata and also my car. The S and my car has similar rwhp but totally different characteristic( for one thing my car is ~2900lb) ... o well its just hard for me to imagine right now

Quick Reply: Getting a S2000