Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Dang, I create a very little dent beneath my front hood

Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dang, I create a very little dent beneath my front hood

I went to the storage facility a few hrs ago where I put my car away last week. With me, I brought a car cover, 4 oversized foam "flutter boards", and a 1/4" socket wrench set.

I strategically placed the boards beside each tire. Started the car, drove the car forward a bit, got out of the car, slid the boards behind the tires, and reversed. Car's off the cement.

Rolled down the windows a bit so that there's a bit of ventilation. Shut off the car, e-brake down, put the gear in reverse, pop the front hood. Opened the hood, use a 10 mm socket with the wrench, take off the bolts from the battery terminals, set the socket wrench aside. Took the battery out, placed it on the ground.

Went around to the front of the car, placed the hood support down, dropped the hood a few inches up. wtf? hood didn't close. Lifted up again, dropped the hood, still didnt' close. Tried to push it down gently, didn't close either. Lifted the hood up a couple more times, dropped the hood a couple more times, still no go. I then started to notice this bit of clunking sound coming from underneath the hood. Lifted it up , the socket wrench was resting on the black ledge (is there a proper term for it) by the windsheild wipers Silly me . Look under the hood, there's a very little dent at the location where it hit the socket wrench. Look on the hood, thank god the dent didn't "show up" on that side (outside).

*sigh* I think I'm gonna avoid placing tools on that area from now on...
Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think we can all admit that we have been guilty of that at one time or another. Except as you found out, the damage on the S can be more costly. At least the dent didn't penetrate to the outside of the hood.

Oh..and about the battery, make sure you place it on some wood. Prevents discharging of the battery by placing it directly on cold cement. Some say that with modern batteries, this is an old wives tale, but I still believe in it

Asif
Old 11-04-2003, 05:16 AM

Misery loves company. Twelve years ago I was adding oil to my 5.0 Mustang. I left the oil filler cap upside down on a flat surface under the hood while I topped up the oil. I closed the hood and ended up with a small dent.

I haven't set down anything under the hood since then and I bet you won't ever again.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE]
Oh..and about the battery, make sure you place it on some wood.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Yeah we've all done it. I did the same thing in my RSX... left a nice crease on the underside of the hood.